Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT/Monthly bleed  (Read 930 times)

Meech65

• First Flush
HRT/Monthly bleed
« on: March 24, 2021, 11:14:49 AM »

Hi everyone

I have been on HRT for around 5 years and quite happy on it. When I went on it I was still having monthly periods so therefore I had to go on the hrt that has a bleed every 28 days. I’m
Now 55 and still having the bleeds, I’m pretty sure if I wasn’t on hrt this wouldn’t be happening...this months is particularly heavy and driving me mad. Has any changed from this to the other that doesn’t have a bleed and how do I know when I should do this?

Thanks in advance

Michelle

Beaker

Re: HRT/Monthly bleed
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 11:41:34 AM »

Hi Michelle

I think you should ask your GP to be changed to the continuous HRT which is intended to stop bleeds.  I'm nearly certain guidelines say you can do this once you are 54y.

Beaker

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 11:45:04 AM »

Hi again,

I just took a look under "HRT preparations: for postmenopause" (on this website) and cut and pasted the bit about just what you asked:

"Period free" or continuous combined therapy can be used by women who are 54 + yrs, or more than one year since last period at any age. The criteria should be fulfilled in order to offer such treatment to women who no longer have a continuing ovarian cycle, so that steady levels of both estrogen and progestogen can be achieved. When there are steady levels of estrogen and progestogen from daily administration of both, the womb lining stays thin. Although some bleeding in the first 6 months of therapy is common, there should not be bleeding after that and the lining does not go through the stages of stimulation and then shedding as it does during a normal cycle and with sequential therapy."

So next stop: GP - best of luck.

Meech65

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »

That’s fantastic...thank you so much for your help  :) I fall make an appointment with the GP x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:12:52 PM »

The only way you can be certain you're meno is by coming off hrt. Although most women are meno by 55 some are in their early 60s so you can't assume you are just because of your age. I was mostly regular when I went on hrt at 57. Worth trying conti hrt though, you can always go back on sequi if you find you still have bleeds.