Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: How do i know if i have gone through the menopause when on hrt  (Read 1163 times)

Ruby10

How do i know if i have gone through the menopause when on hrt
« on: February 06, 2021, 11:32:40 PM »

I am on Hrt and have been for 3 years and am in perimenopause stage , how will I know if i have gone through the menopause? As i read that while being on HRT it gives you non natural periods. Would i need to come off the HRT for a period of time to see if the periods are still happening naturally? Has anyone tried this and how long without it ? I dont want to have to deal with the horrible menopause symptoms while coming off HRT

Taz2

Re: How do i know if i have gone through the menopause when on hrt
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 11:56:54 PM »

Hi Ruby10. Yes the only way to find out is to come off HRT for a while. It depends on how badly you need to know I think as to whether you want to give it a go?

Taz x

Ruby10

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 12:23:58 PM »

Thanks Taz
So does this mean i will be having periods all the time i am on the HRT? Or will they stop as the natural hormones in my body gets less. I was so looking forwards to my periods stopping but my symptoms are so bad without the HRT :(   how long you can stay on HRT for ? Should the dr  take you off it after so long? Will the dr do a test to check ?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:27:53 PM by Ruby10 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 01:12:14 PM »

It depends on your HRT regime.  MayB put the product names into the search box on the forum and see what threads pop up?  Make notes ;-).  HRT is replacement of what our bodies naturally make which eventually slows down, some ladies do have really bad side effects due to a lack of oestrogen.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 07:52:20 PM »

You will have a monthly bleed (usually) while you are on sequential HRT. This is triggered by the withdrawal of the progesterone each month and is necessary to stop your womb lining building up. Once you get to around 53 or 54 depending on your GP you can change to a continuous HRT where the progesterone is added for the whole month and not just the last two weeks. After the initial six months of conti you shouldn't get a bleed.

Nowadays the guidance is that you should be allowed to stay on HRT for as long as you want. Some of us have had to be really persistent with our doctors to stay on it past 60. I'm 67 and have been on it since I was 53.

Taz x  :)

Ruby10

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 08:11:33 PM »

Thanks Taz that is really helpful info. I am nearly 48 and have been having peri symptoms since i was 44 but started on evorel sequi 3 years ago which is really helping . I have noticed i have recently started to get some more hot flushes again and my periods are starting anything from 23-34 days and lasting for 16 days some times and 5 days another month. Would you think that i am having flucuations again of my natrual hormones again and maybe moving into the next stage of menopause?. I am on everol 75 for 2 weeks and then everol conti 50 with an added 25 patch for the last two weeks and this is the only one i can take tht helps me and doesnt cause anymore reactions liek being on tablets. The dr said i cant go on any higher dose of the estrogen patches as this can affect my womb.