Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: .  (Read 2403 times)

Belle1

« on: January 18, 2021, 03:53:19 PM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:37:59 AM by Belle1 »

Uptick

Re: Vinegar odour?!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 04:13:25 PM »

Hi Belle1, I can't help regarding the vinegar smell, sorry. Just would like to ask why are you taking two different progestogens, progesterone (Utrogestan) and norethisterone (Evorel Conti). This isn't advisable.

Uptick

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 04:28:08 PM »

Okay, that's a relief. I hope someone with a similar experience will come along soon to help you. On a side note, I have noticed that my sweat, neck mainly, smells like vinegar since menopause.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 05:13:21 PM »

Thrush is, chateristically, fishy. 

I smell but DH doesn't notice  ::)

Have you altered your diet at all?  Some food stuffs give off specific odours, of course I can't remember which . 

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »

No, BV has a fishy odour, thrush is odorless. That aside I haven't come across the vinegary smell so can't help there. Have you tried the private Vaginal Atrophy Facebook group? Worth joining.

JP x

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 06:04:11 PM »

Sorry, can't help with the smell. If it is thrush it's better to treat it with fluconazole as the pessary doesn't always clear it up.

PMDD

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 06:58:41 PM »

YES! I posted last week to say, since starting Utro if I have a night sweat, then the bed sheets smell 'vinegary'

Must be something to do with it xx

Uptick

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 07:20:12 PM »

I had a quick look on the internet and it's probably bacterial vaginosis, due to overgrowth of some of the normal bacteria of the vaginal microbiota which produce acetic acid (vinegar). The exact mechanism is unknown but some of the known culprits are unprotected sex, douches, and hormonal imbalances (as always). Same thing can happen on other areas of skin where bacterial overgrowth is more likely to occur like armpits, nape of the neck, under breasts and groin area. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcimb.2019.00446/full
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 07:48:47 PM by Uptick »

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 10:09:00 AM »

You can treat BV with otc products, generally a lactic acid preparation such as Balance Activ. Boots sell a few things and I think do an own brand one.

JP x

Postmeno3

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 01:37:59 PM »

Is there always a discharge with BV? I am red and sore down below with a smell on urinating, but no discharge. Also are the pessaries or is the gel more effective with Balance Activ? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:41:54 PM by Postmeno3 »

Joaniepat

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 05:52:25 PM »

Thanks Joaniepat - is Balance Activ the same/ similar to Multi-gyn Actigel? Ingredients don't look quite the same.

Sorry Postmeno3 - sorry to hear you are having probs, hopefully someone will be along who can advise.

Xx

I should think the lactic acid content is much the same. I've always preferred the Balance Activ BV pessaries for ease of use, but not sure what the Multgyn Actigel company produces these days. The BV pessaries have worked for me in the past. Hope this helps anyway.

JP x

Postmeno3

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 06:37:55 PM »

That's great, Joan. What a wonderfully informed resource you are! Thank you. x

lizziejt

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »

Hi Belle, I am on a similar regime to yours and I have developed a weird smell too, i think it's BV. I reckon the utrogestan has upset the vaginal flora which is quite delicate. I'm not sure what I will do now, possibly back to tablets  :-\

Uptick

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 04:20:55 PM »

Hi Belle1 and lizziejt, I would avoid any vaginal product until you know exactly what's going on, some of them can have interactions with others and cause side effects that could make things worse. I know it's not easy when you have vaginal atrophy and terrible discomfort but sometimes all you need is to let the tissues 'breathe', a sort of detox from the daily flow of chemicals, and then you can try one product at a time.

lizziejt

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 06:11:07 PM »

Hi Belle, yes you could try the oral route if you haven't already. It gave me nausea and headaches, but i need to decide what to do before bedtime. I definitely can't tolerate 200mgs though, you can take 100mg for 25 out of 28 days if you are postmenopausal.
Pages: [1] 2