Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: British Menopause Society-Testosterone Replacement in Menopause: New Guidance  (Read 5801 times)

rosie17

Nobody has been able to explain to me why estrogen is the go-to hormone for women if, as the paper says, we produce 3-4 times more testosterone than estrogen when we're young and healthy. Wouldn't it be lovely if all we need is a sprinkling of testosterone, and that some of the testosterone would convert into all the estrogen our bodies need to stay balanced? Hmmm.

pepperminty

Great info thanks Hurdity.

Ladybt28

Rosie - if it were true ref the paper - would it be that we would only need T and Progestrone (to keep womb lining thin) and only a little oestrogen would need to be there as a pre-cursor to trigger the T to produce more ….hum that's interesting.

I wish there were more studies on all this stuff!

rosie17

Well, Ladybt28, in a perfect world we wouldn't need extra progesterone as either the T or the E, or our adrenals or fat cells or whichever organ wants to volunteer, would spit out just the right amount of progesterone to keep the lining thin. I guess we can dream, can't we?

I read a book called "Testosterone: Strong Enough for a Man, Made for a Woman: P.S. We Had It Wrong" by Dr. Charles Mok, published in 2017. The description on Amazon states "Clinical studies show that testosterone therapy reduces the risk of breast cancer by 50 to 75 percent and relieves virtually all symptoms of menopause with no adverse effects.
You read that correctly. The benefits of implementing testosterone into hormone replacement therapy are virtually unprecedented, and yet the larger medical community continues to ignore the facts. In order to repair the standard of care, Dr. Charles Mok confronts medical professionals for their slow integration of testosterone.
With support from a wealth of peer-reviewed studies, he shows how this therapy can help women facing menopause maintain their weight, enjoy sex again, and reduce the health risks associated with aging. Discover the true treatment for menopause and take back control of your body!" (I'm assuming it's okay to mention books, authors and descriptions on this forum? I guess I'll find out!)

As I was reading the book, I thought "What an outlandish idea! If it's true, why don't more doctors know this?"

Tc

I have got to read that book rosie

Joaniepat

The British Menopause Society has produced some up-to-date guidance on testosterone replacement in women including information about the products currently available and suggested dose. At last we have some guidance to give to our GPs if necessary and should hopefully avoid some of the blunders that have been made by GPs (as reported on this forum) prescribing totally inappropriate doses to women.

https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/08-BMS-ToolforClinician-Testosterone-replacement-in-menopause-02C.pdf

The BMS intends to keep the information about specific products updated as brands and doses etc become available or are withdrawn.

It was written by Nick Panay.

Hope this is helpful!

Hurdity x

Bumped for Anaïs and Jaylou

Dotty

https://thebms.org.uk/publications/tools-for-clinicians/testosterone-replacement-in-menopause/

I've just tried the previous link and it didn't work so I've posted the new one above x

Joaniepat

Thanks Dotty. I should have tested it!

JP x

Hurdity

Thanks Dotty - they moved the page! I will edit it also in the main post.

Hurdity x

Dotty

Hi no problems. I only found the page had moved by accident 😄 x

Butterfly22

Interesting, I've never been offered this or tested for it as far as I know xx

Hurdity

bump for Julia Dizzy

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]