Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone.... UPDATED LAST POST  (Read 1158 times)

alibeau

Progesterone.... UPDATED LAST POST
« on: January 18, 2021, 10:55:10 AM »

Hi,

I'm struggling to understand which HRT I need to move to, to increase my dose from my current HRT being Femoston 2/10.

I have read up on this forum and understand that Oestrogen is available in tablet, patch or gel form.

However I am confused about the Progesterone side of things. I firstly spoke to a locum GP last week who said the only way to take progesterone is the coil.  The practise nurse called me today and said the same thing, however she did touch upon HRT being in short supply and so I am wondering if what she is actually saying is that usually other forms of Progesterone would be available but they are currently unavailable?

The nurse said she would ask a different GP to call me tomorrow who is 'more clued up' .....

I am happy to take my HRT in any form ie patches, gels, tablets etc so my question is, is Progesterone available in a patch, gel or tablet as I am being told it is not. I would like to be able to ask the GP tomorrow for bio-identical HRT in any form but not the coil, does that sound right?

Many thanks.

Ali x
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:21:13 PM by alibeau »

alibeau

Re: Progesterone....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 06:38:36 PM »

Thank you Avalon  :thankyou:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 08:46:36 AM »

The other type of progestogen  available separately besides Utrogestan and the coil is Provera tablets (MPA). Some docs will also prescribe norethisterone.

Here is a link to the current ones Avalon referred to: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Hurdity x

alibeau

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 10:18:26 AM »

Thank you Hurdity, this is now more clear to me, I'll await a call from the GP and see what she says...

Thanks again both.

Ali x

alibeau

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 12:57:41 PM »

Ok, so spoke to GP.  She mentioned that perhaps changing the way I take my HRT may help (I currently take tablet form). She did seem to be going down the route of 'we can't fit coils at the moment', so I mentioned other forms of progesterone and she was more than happy to go down this route.

She has prescribed:

Oestrogel Pump-Pack 0.06% gel (Besins Healthcare (UK) Ltd)  2 PUMPS DAILY ADJUSTED ACCORDING TO SYMPTOMS TO BE USED ALONG SIDE UTROGESTAN

This can be increased to up to 4 pumps a day.

and

Utrogestan 100mg capsules (Besins Healthcare (UK) Ltd) 2 TABLETS AT NIGHT FOR 2 WEEKS OUT OF EVERY 4 WEEKS AS PART OF HRT TREATMENT

How does this sound? and how long would you give the new scheme to settle? I also read a lot on here about adjusting the number of pumps of gel, how would I know if I needed to increase this?

Thank you.

Ali x

Hurdity

Re: Progesterone.... UPDATED LAST POST
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 09:31:19 AM »

Hi alibeau - I would try it for 3 months initially and see how yuo get on.  Increased oestrogen is usually indicated in the first instance if flushes and sweats are not controlled but you do have to give changes in dose time to have an effect. For some women other symptoms are more important eg joint aches or mood changes. Good luck and let us know :)

Hurdity x

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 10:15:30 AM »

Hi that’s a good combination. X

alibeau

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »

Hi,

Thank you ladies.  I know I haven't posted on here in a while and only pop on when I need advice but I would like you to know that you make a difference, I really appreciate your feedback.  :foryou:

I think I will leave the switch over until I have finished my current pack of Femoston and I will give the new regime a good chance to settle in.

Thanks again, take good care.

Ali x