Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Menopause confirmed after 12 or 24 months?  (Read 985 times)

KarineT

Menopause confirmed after 12 or 24 months?
« on: January 13, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »

Hello,

I was speaking to my GP and explained that I haven't had a period since February 2020.  I was still 49 when I had my last period in January.  I turned 50 in October 2020.  She was telling me that for women under 50, to confirm that menopause has been reached one has to wait 24 months.  For women aged 50 and over it's 12 months.  Why that when when some women can reach the menopause earlier than this? Why does age have a bearing on this?  As I was still 49 with 8 months without a period and almost 4 months aged 50 with no periods, she said I have to see what happens in the next 6 months, I.e., if a period comes back.  But I hope that it won't be the case.

Taz2

Re: Menopause confirmed after 12 or 24 months?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 10:56:17 AM »

The advice about not being post-menopausal for two years if you are under fifty is for contraceptive purposes I believe. If you are under 50 then there is still a chance that your ovaries will begin working again and you could have an unexpected pregnancy. A friend of mine had her last baby at 48. She had what she thought was her last period at 46 and stopped contraception at 47 (against the advice of her GP) and she became pregnant.

Menopause is not the only cause of missing periods. I would say that if you are in a sexual relationship then you should still take precautions. How are your symptoms?

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 11:39:47 AM »

Hi there

Taz is right - you need to use contraception for two years following last period if under 50. This is, because as she says late pregnancies are more likely to occur if under 50.

However menopause is always now defined as 12 months without a period whatever age you are. The reason for this is so that any bleeding beyonnd the 12 month time has elapsed should be referred for investigation, so that any potential cases of endometrial hyperplasia ( a particular type of thickening of the lining) which could lead to womb cancer, is investigated, even if this is rare.

Therefore you will become post-menopausal in February if you don't have another period. I'm sure you know the exact date?!

The advice re contraception - up to you. You are on the cusp - so you could continue to use contraception for another year following Feb 2021 or maybe just for a few months?

So yout GP is a but muddled - these are two different issues dated for different reasons - date/timing of menopause and length of tme for using contraception.

I hope that clarifies?

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.

Taz x  :)

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I have to keep an eye on it.  I certainly don't want to fall pregnant.

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 05:31:53 PM »

I forgot to say that if I get another period now or after 12 months without one would that make me still perimenopausal then?

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 08:31:55 PM »

If you don't get one this month you are post menopausal but as you are only just 50 I would definitely still use contraception for another year. If you do get another period after this month this will need investigation. Once post menopausal you don't go back to being peri. Any bleeding after at least a year without is considered abnormal just to be on the safe side.

Taz x