Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Feeling cold as a symptom?  (Read 5190 times)

KittyBee

Feeling cold as a symptom?
« on: January 14, 2021, 03:07:46 PM »

I feel the cold a lot at the moment, and I wondered if it might be a symptom of menopause? I saw something on Twitter which said it might be, but when I Googled, I only found references to ‘cold flashes’ and shivering.

This is different, I am pretty much cold all the time. On an average day, I wear a thermal vest, t-shirt, jumper, scarf, jogging pants (nice and thick), socks and boot style slippers. If it gets cold, I will get myself a hot water bottle. Our house isn’t particularly cold, I don’t think, but I never feel comfortably warm.

I know this could be linked to thyroid issue, but in the last blood tests I had done, my thyroid function was ‘normal’.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:40:16 PM by KittyBee »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Felling cold as a symptom?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:08:27 PM »

When did you have a full blood screening which included thyroid function?

KittyBee

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 03:31:32 PM »

I had to go through Medichecks to get a thyroid test done (although due to poor circulation, I couldn’t do the pin **** option, so I ended up having it done at a local blood clinic anyway  ::)).

It was done before lockdown, but I’ve been like this for a few years at least.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 03:32:52 PM »

What were the results, some GPs won't do further checks if it comes back 'within normal limits'  :-\ even if a patient continues to complain of symptoms. 

KittyBee

Re: Feeling cold as a symptom?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 03:42:38 PM »

TSH - 2.53 mIU/L (0.27 - 4.2)

Free T3 - 4.7 pmol/L (3.1 - 6.8)

Free Thyroxine 13.2 pmol/L

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 04:22:23 PM »

MayB put 'thyroid function' into the search box?

Sage 🍃

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 04:27:20 PM »

KittyBee, I think you have replied to your own question! You have poor circulation! That's why you're feeling cold all the time, poor thing. Your thyroid blood tests results are just fine. Keep moving, sweetie, that's the best way to increase circulation and produce heat, what about dancing?  :-*

Postmeno3

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 04:41:41 PM »

Have you heard of Raynaud's Phenomenon. I've always felt the cold but recent years and now into post-menopause especially, it seems worse. It maybe applies to your situation or contributes?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 04:47:09 PM »

My DH has a form of Reynauds ...... when cold two fingers on each hand go cold: his Dad had the same thing happen.

KittyBee

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 07:01:27 PM »

KittyBee, I think you have replied to your own question! You have poor circulation! That's why you're feeling cold all the time, poor thing. Your thyroid blood tests results are just fine. Keep moving, sweetie, that's the best way to increase circulation and produce heat, what about dancing?  :-*
I have fibro so don’t have much energy at the moment. I could try dancing about a bit and see if that helps.

Postmeno3

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 07:20:39 PM »

Ah, the fibro could be a contributory factor, too. Oestrogen is affected by fibro and that along with very poor circulation might be the root cause. I agree that movement, if you can, could help a lot. I have M.E., so I understand how limited movement can be. Perhaps explore senior or chair yoga/pilates/qi gong (especially!). Swimming of course, too, particularly in a therapy pool, but that's pretty unavailable just now. I guess experimenting to see what supports you without PEM.
💚

Sage 🍃

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 07:33:32 PM »

Exactly what I was going to say, Postmeno3! I also have fibro, only I have the opposite symptom, but the cause is the same, 'feeling too hot or too cold – this is because you're not able to regulate your body temperature properly'

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fibromyalgia/symptoms/

Excellent advice Postemeno3! Hope you feel better soon KittyBee  :-*

Postmeno3

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 07:59:05 PM »

Yes! Temperature regulation is a huge problem for me. So much energy is used up trying to come back to a middle range. Lovely to be making these connections, both physiological and interpersonal. Thank you!
💚

KittyBee

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 11:45:05 PM »

Thank you for the advice, I will look on Youtube for some gentle exercise.

I am so cold, I am considering getting some wrist warmers and maybe even leg warmers.

Sage 🍃

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 01:26:35 PM »

Poor thing! I hated feeling cold all the time, menopause has sorted it! Have you ever had hot flushes? Are you underweight? My sister had surgical menopause and had cold flushes. Doc said she lacked proper insulation from fat cells!
Pages: [1] 2 3