Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Link to interesting research related to non-hormonal vaginal moisturisers  (Read 874 times)

Lamplighter

Hello again, during the excessive time I spent trying to research VMs and the like I came across this interesting article relating to benefits, effects and the composition of vaginal moisturisers, with particular reference to PH levels and something called osmolality (if anyone can explain in words of two syllables or less what that is when it's at home, I'd be grateful  ;) ).  It's a very long article and quite technical in places, but the main reason I'm posting it is for the tables of comparison of various VMs. 

While the research was funded by the YES company (which sort of put me off, as YES came out very positively in the comparisons and made me wonder how slanted the article might have been) it nevertheless does point up something important - that is, the PH levels of various VMs, which to me explained why I ended up eventually getting burning when using a number of different VMs internally.

I note from reading these forums that quite a number of us do use the YES product, so thought it might be interesting to see why it seems to be so effective (well ok I don't think it's particularly effective, but it does cause much less discomfort than any of the other VMs I've used and when you're desperate...) and why many of the others may not be quite so useful.

Sorry if I'm doubling up on info already extant here, ie you all already know this stuff  ::)

Hm ok now to work out how to do a link...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4819835/

Let's see if that works

LL

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

vaginal moisturisers?

Many tell me that KY Jelly is full of nasties but I've used it successfully since 1979.  Sometimes it's not the active ingredient but the fillers or outer casing that causes irritations.

SLS are the ones to avoid, that's foaming agents in many bathing products. 

Granny used to throw a handful of cooking salt or Epsom salts into my bath ...... can't remember why  ::).  I think it's important not to try too many products but 2 have a gap of 3/5 days to give the skin some rest.

Dorothy

I hunted up some definitions and I think osmolality is to do with how concentrated a solution is. Is that any help?

I've found Yes moisturiser and lubricant quite helpful as long as I don't use too often - then it starts to sting a bit.  Best thing ever for me has been coconut oil, but sadly can't use that as a lube as it's not compatible with condoms.   :(

Uptick

Hi Lamplighter, Dr. Nick Panay has, in his own words, 'lectured and acted as an advisor for a number of pharma companies', so I think this is an unbiased study (as far as YES is concerned).

Maybe this more recent PowerPoint presentation can be easier to digest.

https://www.menopause.org/docs/default-source/agm/panay-n-2017-slides.pdf

Lamplighter

Thanks CLKD, Dorothy and Uptick for your replies.

Dorothy, thanks for looking up the meaning of osmolality - I *think* I get what it means, and at the end of the day I don't suppose it matters as no amount of knowing is going to change the end result is it!  I too have found coconut oil helpful, but as you say, for external use.

Uptick thanks for the link - I had a quick read and it seems to reiterate some of the points of the long Climactic article, usefully having products available in UK.  The other article compared VMs generally, including ones not available here. 

I have to say I do get a bit mad when I see doctors etc banging on about the problems of menopause solely in relation to sex - as far as I'm concerned the physical torment of VA and other post menopausal symptoms far far far outweighs the issue of painful sex.  I realize not all women feel that way, but I figure if you fix the other issues then the sex part will be fixed as well.  Not vice versa!  Personally I couldn't care less if I never had sex again, but I do care profoundly about being able to sit, move, sleep and function like a normal human being again.  :gym: