Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena - been on it for 4 years  (Read 1009 times)

Glitterface

Mirena - been on it for 4 years
« on: January 10, 2021, 06:55:32 PM »

Hello, i had the mirena fitted in March 2017 and am on the 25g patches, so the coil will expire soon. I am nearly 59 and will be making an appointment with my GP soon to talk about what to do next. I am really happy with my HRT and wish i could just carry on but they may not allow it because of my age. If I can continue, I'm not sure removal and replacement of the coil is something they would do at the moment because of covid, so I'm wondering what are my alternatives. Has anyone been in this situation. Thanks

Gnatty

Re: Mirena - been on it for 4 years
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 07:13:16 PM »

I would have thought the coil would have lasted another year or two by which time hopefully we will be out of this mess. Plenty of women then just have another one fitted. I guess the alternative would be utrogestan which again lots of us take. But certainly at the moment and since you are happy with what you have I would leave well alone for now!

Glitterface

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 07:46:00 PM »

Thanks.... apparently it only lasts 4 years so I do need to do something other wise I won't be getting the progesterone I need to balance the oestrogen from the patches

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 09:02:27 PM »

I think they last 4 years for contraception but 5 years for hrt?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 09:16:10 PM »

My Mirena was meant to be replaced last April, i was told it is now 5 years for HRT purposes, i am 57 my GP said they are happy to fit another one so i can carry on with Estrogel.

sed

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 06:56:09 PM »

Hi all, I have only just started this regime.  On 2 pumps of oestrogel and have been for 3 weeks.  I fear I feel awful - have you any tips for me?

TracyPNE

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:30:26 PM »

Hi

Newbie here.  My Mirena was due to be changed Dec 2020 (inserted in Dec 2015), but the Gynae Nurse has said it can stay in for two more years.  I currently have a prolapse which I need to have surgery on and the Consultant has said that whilst they are repairing my prolapse he will change my Mirena and put a new one in.  I'm 52 in May.

I'd advise finding out just how long it can stay in for. :)

Tracy

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »

TacyPNE ....Are you using HRTwith The Mirena?