Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy  (Read 1498 times)

skkb

Hysteroscopy
« on: January 08, 2021, 05:00:39 PM »

My appointment has come through for 14th January for a hysteroscopy.....never had one before, is it painful?

Sparkler

Re: Hysteroscopy
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 07:21:35 PM »

Hi there

I had one in May and did some research beforehand. Most women are fine with the procedure. I found it uncomfortable but ok, they showed me the screen and looked after me well. I had followed advice from others and took painkillers an hour before I went. The doctor explained that a small number of women, and they cannot predict who, find the procedure extremely painful. The doctor explained that she would stop at any point I wanted her to, and it was ok.

Sparkler
X

skkb

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 07:19:00 AM »

Thankyou, that’s good to know, I will take some painkillers beforehand. Probably my real concern is should I even go into a hospital at all just now given the high numbers of COVID cases.....I find that scary 😟

Grheliz1

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 09:43:28 AM »

I've had two: the first under general and second with just over-the-counter cocodomal.

I didn't find the one without general anaesthetic too bad: uncomfortable rather than actually painful. I'd do it again without a general.

skkb

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 10:20:45 AM »

Thankyou, yes I will take some pain relief before attending

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »

Hello Skkb

I didn't find it uncomfortable, no worse than a smear really. I know others will have different views, but just putting it out there that it's not painful for all women!

Good luck, hope it goes ok.

Xx
  Women are very different. I found it much more painful than a smear even though I had taken painkillers in advance. My cervix was very tight and I eventually had to have it under a GA. In comparison I had an endoscopy without even a local numbing.

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 07:12:24 PM »

My appointment has come through for 14th January for a hysteroscopy.....never had one before, is it painful?
I had a GA for mine, was told I might get cramps afterwards, but I never.
Sorry I cannot give you a personal experience of an office performed awake one.
I have a stenosed cervix, I did allow the gynaecologist to try to put a (literally spaghetti thin) instrument in there for biopsy while awake but it wouldn't let him in.

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 07:14:29 PM »

Thankyou, that’s good to know, I will take some painkillers beforehand. Probably my real concern is should I even go into a hospital at all just now given the high numbers of COVID cases.....I find that scary 😟
The hospital will keep you right on the COVID situation.
I went recently to hospital and took all the covid precautions, the instructions were very easy to follow, like cleansing my hands, where to stand etc, if the hospital were concerned they would let you know.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »

I had a GA for mine, was told I might get cramps afterwards, but I never.
Sorry I cannot give you a personal experience of an office performed awake one.
I have a stenosed cervix, I did allow the gynaecologist to try to put a (literally spaghetti thin) instrument in there for biopsy while awake but it wouldn't let him in.
Exactly the same for me.

skkb

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 07:34:53 PM »

I will take pain relief beforehand

Sparkler

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 07:47:57 PM »

A bit more info that might help. After the procedure I bled a bit, which I expected. This eased off after a day or two but then got heavier again for a few days. I know this has happened to other ladies, but not all. I thought it might help you to know as I ended up a bit worried until I found out it was relatively normal.

S

skkb

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 09:59:40 AM »

Thanks Sparkler....reassuring to know, I am expecting some bleeding 🥴