Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil - Views?  (Read 3180 times)

Beaniehat

Mirena Coil - Views?
« on: January 07, 2021, 11:07:06 AM »

My GP has recommended me to try the Mirena Coil as my periods are coming every couple of weeks.

Has anyone got any experiences of this - in particular how it has impacted your mental health - i've been suffering from dreadful anxiety and i don't want it to get any worse....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirena Coil - Views?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »

Have a look-C on the search box for 'mirena coil'.  Make notes  ;)

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »

It seems to be like most forms of progesterone, most are absolutely fine on it but a few are not. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing which you are without trying. It does seem to stop bleeding for most women so would seem to be a good solution as long you have no side effects.

Shannonplussed

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 02:26:49 PM »

I’m on my second Mirena. I’ve had mood/mental Heath issues before the Mirena, while using the Mirena, and after removal.

Cazikins

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 03:29:25 PM »

I had several mirena coils over the years, initially for contraception then for the progesterone part of my HRT. Most definitely good for heavy periods, worked a treat for me.
No experience regarding MH though so can't help you there.
Cazikins x

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 07:43:47 PM »

I would say it depends on how well you tolerate synthetic progesterone and whether or not you suffer with migraines.

I had a Mirena coil for contraception pre menopause without any problems apart from breast pain but I found it caused hormone instability migraines and vaginal irritation once I hit the menopause.   

Although most of the progesterone is confined to the womb, some of it will get into your system.  I don't know how this would affect mental health but if you have a history of PMS then it's probably worth thinking about a very low dose coil like the Jaydess.

It will definitely help with the bleeding.   Are you going to be taking oestrogen too?

Grheliz1

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 09:31:07 AM »

I had my first Mirena inserted 17 days ago. I was 56. Mine was recommended to try and control my endometrial lining, which never seemed to respond well to utrogestan.

I've had some discharge and light bleeding since then, not every day, though. No heavy blood loss at all and I seem to have dodged the bleed I was expecting (continuous utrogestan never stopped them restarting when I went on to HRT). I can feel my iron levels starting to improve at last.

I have put on two pounds but that's probably the after-effects of Christmas cheese, chocolate and cake, to be honest, and I have already got one pound off and the other one will probably go after a few more days of careful eating.

No emotional hiccups. No depression. No pain, after the initial day and day after: and that wasn't as much pain as discomfort caused by the nurse not being able to insert the Mirena until the third attempt (I think she had dodgy instruments: a speculum broke).

I really wouldn't know that I had the Mirena in me, to be honest. I wish I'd had one ten years ago but I paid too much heed to the negative stories online (not to downplay anyone's bad experiences: we are all different in the way we respond to hormones, but probably people who have no problems don't post as much).

Ms Peak

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 09:53:26 AM »

Hi there.
I'm on my second mirena, it was fitted for horredous periods (i useto carry spare clothes on workdays in the car) community nurse with children.
Honestly I have had MH before and since mirena related to post natal depression and then an awful marriage 7 years ago. In my view both issues outside of mirena use.
Frankly at 58 I am still ovulating so I wouldn't be without a mirena at all. Its the BEST thing ever for me - no periods in years now.
I am totally off all ADs and living a wonderful happy life
All the best
Ms Peaks xx

violetbat

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 01:41:13 PM »

I had the mirena a year or so ago and had the most awful time with it. Bleeding never stopped and got heavier and heavier, constant period like cramps, covered in spots and then the threads disappeared and I had to go to hospital to have it extracted.

Perinowpost

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »

Beaniehat if you struggle with progesterone at all don’t do it, if not then you’ll be fine x

MummyClanger

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 06:35:16 PM »

Hi I’ve had several mirena coils over the years and not really had any problems with them. I had my first one fitted after the birth of my child at 37 and I wished I’d had one years ago tbh as had always suffered with terrible period pains. I literally did not have a period again after a few weeks of very light spotting.  I had previously suffered from post natal depression and I don’t feel it made me any worse, I was being treated for this with anti depressants at the time but by the time the next one was fitted three years later I was ok and not depressed any more and I don’t feel like it caused any relapse. I’d previously had a lot of problems with low mood on combined pill. The only thing to do is try it and if you find it makes things worse have it removed, but I completely understand the fear.