Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: First post  (Read 1074 times)

Sutcliffex4

First post
« on: January 09, 2021, 07:52:00 AM »

Hi everyone
This is my first post..
I’ve tried various searches to find an answer to my question - sorry if it has been asked before!

I started using the Oestrogel gel (1 pump) on 15th December- I was told to take Utrogestan days 15-26. I took the first pill on 29th December.  I am having difficulty working out the dates when to start the pill each month. I was hoping I would find an app of some sort.. but haven’t. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I have not had a period since Feb 2020. I wanted to ask - would it work for me to take the pill on the 1st of every month? Obviously this won’t work as a 28 day cycle.

As yet I have felt no benefit from the HRT.. I was hoping it would be some sort of miracle! 😂

Thank you in advance
Becky x

Gnatty

Re: First post
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:48:32 AM »

Hi there!

I am pretty sure there are lots of women who take the utrogestan by calendar date as you suggest simply to make life a whole lot easier, I don't think a day or two here or there will make any difference. I take it continuously so don't have that trouble.

Re you not feeling better yet - two points to note - firstly one pump is a tiny amount and secondly two weeks is not very long, it can take 6 months to reap the full benefits. Having said that I think that hot flushes if on the right dose of oestrogel disappear/ significantly reduce relatively quickly. So I would say that if you are still getting those then that would be a good indicator you need more oestrogel. Generally you would increase the does gradually, so you could try 2 pumps or even one and a half first. As an example I seem to have settled quite nicely on three pumps (6 months since I started HRT) although still a bit lacking in energy. But that might be resolved by another pump or- maybe testosterone. That's another story!

Welcome to the website, I am sure someone on conti regime will be along soon.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:04:06 AM »

Hi as you are nearly 12 months without a period , you could take 100mg of Utrogestan every night . X

Sutcliffex4

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to reply - I appreciate it.

I was diagnosed three years ago with a Prolactinoma- tumour on my pituitary gland. My consultant confirmed this is the reason for the perimenopause.

Because of lockedown it is extreme difficult to make contact with the GP to ask about increasing the dose. I’m worried to increase it myself in case of running out - I assume I will only be prescribed enough to take me through 1 month.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »

Sutcliffex4 -   :welcomemm:   Why R U finding it difficult 2 contact your GP  :-\.  Most Surgeries have had a call back system for years.  MayB contact the Receptionist and ask if there is a Nurse Practitioner who can give you some advice?

May be put the product name into the search box on the Forum to see what pops up?  Make notes  ;).  It can be Trial and Error and there isn't a 1 size fits all, nor an instant cure.  The Change - does what it says on the tin  ::)

At least you are nearly a year without a bleed  8).  MayB keeping a mood/symptom/food diary would be of use, to chart progress?

Let us know how you get on.  Ask away, nowt is OTT  ;)

Sutcliffex4

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »

Thank you.

I did contact my GP although they are never very helpful and ask me to contact my hospital consultant who is considerably more difficult to pin down.

The reason my periods have stopped is because of the tumour. The consultant is hoping the HRT will level things off??

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »

Between pillar and post then?  Consultants have secretaries who can pass messages ;-)  R U due an follow up at the Hospital?

Sutcliffex4

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 01:04:08 PM »

My next MRI is April - my appointment follows 2wks later.

When I mentioned in my first post I was prescribed 1 pump of gel - I did mean 1 per arm. The label states two pumps which I took as 1 per arm?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 01:05:28 PM »

That's technical  ::) - mayB keep a diary to take to your next appt. as well as how you felt B4 the regime was altered?

Gnatty

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 06:51:57 PM »

Ahh, ok so you are having two pumps a day then, that's a bit better! How many bottles did you get in your prescription? On two pumps a day one bottle should last a month. Whats happening with hot flushes? Are they improving - if they are that's a good sign that maybe two pumps will be enough and you just need to be patient a while longer for other symptoms to improve. Hopefully you will peak to someone soon about potentially increasing your dose.

Sutcliffex4

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »

Thanks for your help.
Yes two pumps - I’m doing 1 per inner arm every evening.
With regards to hot flushes.. during the day time I have never experienced hot flushes. In the evening it is as if my body temperature raises to the point where I am uncomfortably hot (not sweating). This has been ongoing for almost a year now. I have my bloods taken regularly due to the tumour - my consultant can see they are inconsistent but cannot understand why. He has asked another consultant for a second opinion.
As yet I have felt no different. Still sleeping with the window open much to my husband’s annoyance 😂🥶

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 01:50:08 PM »

A friend had dreadful flushing the same time each evening for years  ::) but we didn't associate it with menopause for years.