Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Losing the plot???  (Read 1371 times)

Beaniehat

Losing the plot???
« on: January 05, 2021, 12:32:28 PM »

Hello, new here and struggling BIG TIME with anxiety. It started about 6 years ago and i've been on various AD's which haven't really helped. I'm now 46, and my periods have started getting irregular (actually closer together rather than further apart), i'm sleeping badly and i've put on weight (this could be the AD's). I also get the occasional night sweat (but this can also be a symptom of the AD). I've never had any MH problems before.

No-one has ever mentioned anything to me about hormones but i wondered:

1 - could this anxiety be due to perimenopause? It really is quite extreme at times - to the extent that i've had time off work for it - there doesn't seem to be any trigger for it that i can identify, it seemed to come from nowhere;
2 - if (given that this started some years ago) i'd be too young?

Thank you in advance, for your wise words!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Losing the plot???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 12:52:39 PM »

Morning.  How was anxiety and/or depression during your menstruating years?  I used to sob uncontrollably the night B4 a bleed, even if a period wasn't due.

Antidepressants may help anxiety but a dedicated short-term course of anti-anxiety medication would be worth a try.  I have used deep breathing exercises as well as 'rescue remedy' mouth spray ......... with some success.  Some HRTs can help anxiety but if you've had problems for a while, why hasn't your GP suggested appropriate medication whilst you explore the various HRTs which may be necessary.

Peri can begin sooner than most of us realise.  No one is too young ! regardless of what the medical 'experts' think.

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary which may be useful.  Browse round.

Beaniehat

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 01:11:41 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have never suffered from anxiety or depression before - other than PND when my son was born when i was 42. But i felt mentally fantastic during the pregnancy.

I've been on the CCP off and on during these last few years which my husband thinks helped, but as i can't remember whether the dips/anxiety have coincided with not being on it i'm not sure how reliable that is.

AG

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 02:04:33 PM »

Hi, Some of the symptoms can also be caused by thyroid function issues. If thyroid function has not been checked with blood test it may be worth checking TSH, T4 (and ideally T3) to see whether some of this could be caused by thyroid issues as well. AG

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 02:15:48 PM »

A good thought  :thankyou: as thyroid function may be affected during peri.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 03:39:58 PM »

My worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia, I had never had anxiety before. You have had it for quite a long time but we do know you can produce less oestrogen before you have irregular periods so it's possible it's menopause related. Perhaps try hrt and see if improves it? I had a little improvement after a month but it took 3 months to go completely.

Racheldc

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 06:11:49 PM »

I would say 46 is around average age for perimenopause. I started having symptoms around 45 years, though it took me a while to piece it all together. Sleep issue was the one that tipped me over the edge! I also think it is quite common for periods to occur closer together as oestrogen depletes.

Beaniehat

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 08:38:46 AM »

Thanks everyone.

I seem to be getting the curse every 2 weeks now and it used to be bang on regular 28 days so something is going on. i also seem to get worse anxiety leading up to it (which now is most of the time)!! Anyone else get this?

I'm so sick and tired of waking up to a feeling of sheer panic.