Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Peri - periods stopped  (Read 1012 times)

Hillbilly

Peri - periods stopped
« on: January 02, 2021, 06:43:31 PM »

Hi all, happy new year  :)

I'm 48, peri and not on HRT (tried it last year but it didn't agree with me) I've always had regular heavy periods and any periods disruption was them coming closing together, I'm never late.

My period was due 2 weeks ago and there's still no sign, I'm sore like I have thrush and I'm very bloated. I took a pregnancy test just in case and it's negative so I'm guessing its the menopause.

Is there a chance they may have stopped for good or are they likely to return? Will I have any other symptoms if its full meno?

Thanks  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Peri - periods stopped
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 08:11:31 PM »

2 weeks late is nothing to judge where you are. Sorry.   My periods waxed and waned for 3/4 years: I would miss months then have a few months of 'normal' but fortunately not as painful, periods.  Then miss again.  I was ages realising that they had gone completely  ::)

Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 12:49:37 AM »

Missing/late periods are often one of the first signs of peri. Like CLKD mine were erratic for three years before starting HRT. Periods can be further apart for months then you might get two in a month. Sometimes they can last three days or, as in my case, over six weeks. I had no periods for nine months then went back to a regular cycle. The soreness could be vaginal atrophy caused by low oestrogen and you may need a vaginal oestrogen for this. Don't leave it as it is not likely to improve on its own.

Once you have gone a year without a period you are then considered to be post meno.  :)

Taz x Happy New Year

Hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 08:37:06 AM »

No I'm not keeping a diary. Its just I've never been late before so I'm loving it!

I was given vagifem by my GP but it seems to bring the thrush symptoms on so I've stopped.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 10:11:00 AM »

Sometimes the fillers in 'vagifem' can cause problems or it may be that the skin is so thin that the product irritates.  Do change to Ovestin, same idea of loading for 2-3 weeks nightly - have a read of the vaginal atrophy threads.  Once the stinging is eased the condition will improve.  It is unlikely to do so without treatment.

Let us know how you get on.  Sometimes I use KYJelly if the skin itches and others find that 'sylc' or 'yes' products help as well as VA treatment.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 10:35:15 AM »

Sometimes thrush can stay in your system. Some time ago I had a problem with recurring bouts, always just before a bleed, and was advised to take two doses of fluconazole a week apart. Thrush, va and utis can have very similar symptoms.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 12:53:09 PM »

I had my first attack of thrush after stopping The Pill.  I can still remember the intense itching, high up and the Registrar I worked with told me not to scratch  ::).  I was given pessaries I think  :-\.  That was due to the flora being upset after 11 years on The Pill.

I would get the itching after a period ended: full bloody bleed, 24 hours without followed by brown staining and That Itch  >:(

The next attack many years later was after emergency surgery.  Ever after, for elective procedures, I swallowed LIVE yoghurt prior to admission and for weeks after.  It seemed to help. 

Hillbilly

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 02:27:28 PM »

Thanks everyone, I might check with my gp about changing to ovestin I'm just not 100% sure its va as I've had recurring thrush in the past. I was actually on the oral tablet for 6 months a year ago.

I'll give it a go, thank you!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 03:16:30 PM »

I didn't stop carrying protection until 5 years after my last bleed  ;D