Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Your experience of gynae referral? Advice please  (Read 1364 times)

pricey

Your experience of gynae referral? Advice please
« on: January 03, 2021, 09:55:42 AM »

Hello ladies,

I've posted a few times. To summarise, I'm almost 56, still peri. Stopped HRT over 3 months ending mid August 20. Bled for 12 weeks off and on. Was referred for scan including transvaginal. This happened during a heavy bleed. Picked up a couple of small fibroids and 'something', deemed not suspicious,  presumed polyp. Lining of womb was apparently ok. GP referred me to a gynaecologist non urgent route with a view to hysteroscopy,  possibly mirena etc. She thought the wait wouldn't be excessive, but it was 3 months when the appointment came through (mid February). No gynaecologist named, just an appointment for a hysteroscopy with a nurse.
I've had two definitely cyclical bleeds since the norethisterone withdrawal bleed (used for two weeks to try and stop the 12 week bleed). I've had intermittent spotting, often only on wiping (sorry tmi) and I presume this could be the suspected polyp. Overall, though  it seems a little more settled.  I'm feeling very anxious about the hysteroscopy. It seems cold and clinical to just have to attend with no obvious consultant input. I had thought I might have a consultation first,  or a follow up scan.  Is this usual? Having read about various very different experiences of hysteroscopy, I don't want to have one unless absolutely necessary, although I am worried about the suspected polyp.

Does anyone have any advice?

X

Loo53

Re: Your experience of gynae referral? Advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 10:44:17 AM »

I wasn’t even physically examined I was just given estriol and tostran gel and tarrar.  It was a male gynae. I’ve been asked by various male reluctant GPs do you want me to examine you With the whites of their eyes showing praying I won’t say yes ok.  I’ve even had one GP jump 6 feet across the room in fear, I’m not going to examine you he said but here is some cream for your lichen sclerosis which still has not been examined since or biopsied for that matter. My experience of gynaecologists is not very positive but I’m sure there are some good ones out there. Perhaps being in my 60s put GPs off. I’m sure had I been a nubile young woman they’d be queuing up at the door ........sorry but I’m old and cynical and been treated badly about my post menopause and gynae problems.

Grheliz1

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 12:07:36 PM »

I've had two hysteroscopies in the last four months and my experience was good. The second was done without anaesthetic and because I knew this was likely to be the case, I stocked up on over-the-counter cocodomal and concentrated on my breathing and it was fine. My consultant was lovely and made it clear that if I felt pain it was because she wasn't going in the right 'route' and she would immediately stop. There were two nurses present and they were both very supportive. It really was better than I was expecting and actually more comfortable than my later appointment to have a Mirena fitted, which wasn't exactly more painful but just beset by technical problems.

I'm glad I had it done there and then, immediately after the consultation. I don't want to go back to the hospital more often than necessary. As it is, I'll be having at least two more hysteroscopies and biopsies before I'm hopefully discharged without hysterectomy being recommended.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 12:50:20 PM »

The Nurse will be experienced in this procedure, I think a lot of 'small' issues have been handed down to Nurse to save Consultant time.  Do take a list of worries with you.  You don't have to submit to an exam if you don't want, it's your body. 

I've never known a Gynae not to examine a lady  :-\.  1 is entitled to a Nurse being present too whether private or in the NHS.  It should be offered but often isn't.

My polyp bled on contact and shrivelled at peri  ::).

pricey

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 01:17:07 PM »

Thanks for your replies,  ladies. Had another mini bleed yesterday. The mini bleeds appear to be cyclical too. I had sore breasts and low mood two days before. I've been keeping track. The periods are monthly but about two weeks before them I get a mini bleed. Ok, could be the polyp but strange it's cyclical. I'm feeling really low and tearful today.

:(

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 01:18:39 PM »

Hormones may trigger a polyp to bleed. 

pricey

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 01:30:17 PM »

That's interesting CLKD. I didn't know that.I suppose I was just hoping this might resolve while I was waiting to be seen. Feel so low with it all. 

X

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 02:26:16 PM »

What's your biggest worry?