Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil v evorel patch  (Read 775 times)

Keekz

• First Flush
Mirena Coil v evorel patch
« on: December 28, 2020, 06:49:01 AM »

Hi. I’ve recently been back to my GP to discuss possibly changing from the evorel conti patch to estrogel & the mirena coil due to hot flushes returning. I’ve been on HRT 10 months & symptoms have reappeared about a month ago.
I have had DVT in the past so my GP is concerned about a risk associated with HRT hence being on the patch as this is regarded the lowest risk of all HRT. I saw a different GP of late who basically was not up to date with any current data & studies regarding HRT & wouldn’t allow any chances other an extra half a pump of the estrogel on top on my conti patch. She even wanted to offer anti depressants as an alternative. Obviously I don’t want to increase my risk of DVT but wondered if anyone has any information or knowledge on whether the mirena coil was a greater risk or equal risk to the evorel conti patch. She also completely dismissed utrogestan taken vaginally ( which I’ve been told is no greater risk). I wanted to change to the utrogestan or mirena coil with the estrogel so I could increase the gel as & when needed with hot flushes.
I think I need to see a different GP for a start but just wondered if any of you had any info. Many thanks.

sheila99

Re: Mirena Coil v evorel patch
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 10:19:17 AM »

This https://thebms.org.uk/2011/05/risk-of-recurrent-thrombosis-affected-by-type-of-hrt/
suggests it's the form of oestrogen that makes the difference not the progestin. Mirena can be used for contraception by those unable to use the bcp because of dvt so I would assume it can be used for hrt too.
I would either see the original gp or else ask for a referral to a menopause clinic.