Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 8355 times)

Nas

Tinnitus
« on: December 27, 2020, 10:01:35 AM »

Hi all,
Has anyone developed tinnitus during their menopausal journey? Mine started last week, it’s like an electric current sound in one ear,  came totally out of the blue.

I’ve got a GP phone appointment next week re something else, but this noise is driving me mad!

I haven’t had a cold, infection etc as far as I know, so what an earth could be causing this noise? I’m scared it’s permanent 😢

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 11:05:08 AM »

Yep.

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax which can include the eustachian tubes.  I often ask DH if he can hear the whistling in my ears ......  ::) and sometimes when I lay on a pillow I can hear my blood pumping through my body via my ears .........

It's a matter of learning to live with it.  When I notice the ringing I do wonder how long it's been playing ....... but it seems to come from the back of my head for ages then I become more aware of it in the ears. 

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 11:18:16 AM »

There's a few things that cause tinintis and its not always permanent. I developed it in one ear after covid and ive got a ENT appointment the end of this month. The doctor said usually its in both ears but as its just one she wanted to investigate further.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 01:47:13 PM »

Mine is only in one ear but started after an infection. I'm not sure there's anything they can do about it, they couldn't for me. The brain does seem to adjust though so it becomes less intrusive. I find it worst when I'm trying to listen to something quiet and all I can hear is the  :-X tinnitus. I hope yours settles.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »

Mine varies - not always both at once, well I don't think it is  :-\

Uptick

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 02:47:52 PM »

Hi Blitzen5, tinnitus is a common symptom in many different conditions besides infection. It can be caused by loud noises or specific sound frequencies, age-related hearing loss, Meniere's  disease (vertigo), earwax or fluid build-up, migraines, weather changes (low atmospheric pressure), temporal-mandibular joint issues, bruxism (clenching, grinding your teeth), hormonal fluctuations and other rarer causes (anaemia, hypertension, atherosclerosis, head injury, diabetes, reaction to drugs like NSAIDs, ABs, diuretics or aspirin). Can you think of any of these situations that may apply to you? Hope you get better soon and good luck with GP phone appointment.

Have a look at this article https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and-throat/tinnitus#about-tinnitus
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 02:51:56 PM by Uptick »

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 07:52:44 PM »

I got tinnitus in July in one ear after micro suction for ear wax at Specsavers.  Then the same time I got it in the other ear after using Otomize prescribed by my gp for long term ear pain.  I can live with it but don't want it to get worse.  Been waiting to see ENT for months as I still have pain in the right ear. 

Nas

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 09:53:25 AM »

Thanks everyone
The noise is still there and very annoying.
It feels like it’s in my head almost.

As far as i am aware, i have not been exposed to any major load noises l haven’t had an ear infection etc. Suppose it could be fluid or wax, although how am I meant to know if the GPS are not seeing patients face to face at present? I do feel it requires some investigation nevertheless.

Thanks Uptick for the link, I shall read that now.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »

Mine feels in the back of my head ........ until it gets into my ears.  Like a low buzzing noise  >:(

Our Practice Nurse is doing ears ;-)

suzysunday

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »

My gp practice is doing face to face appointments if you persevere!  I record symptoms on line and get a call back, did this a couple of times then got appointment at designated hubs.  I can't complain because they did their best.  Still waiting for ENT but I am not a serious case and can wait.  Everything is such a mess isn't it!   Roll on spring or something!

silverstar

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »

I’ve had a low hum in one ear for the last few months, like blood swishing around. It’s got better the last few days in that the deep hum has gone but now replaced with a noise a bit like a fridge hum. I think it’s a blockage in the inner ear as when I blew my nose my ear popped and squeaked. Annoying!

Dierdre

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 08:46:40 PM »

That sounds like fluid and blocked eustachian tube, mine used to squeak too. Doctor prescibed nasal spray, apparently its all connected and it worked. Still got tinnitus but not so bad now and the fullness in my ear has gone.

Nas

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 10:11:22 AM »

Looks like I may have to persevere with the GP and try and get ears looked at I think. Really hoping it’s just wax or blocked eustacian tube.

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »

Hello Blitzen5 and welcome to the forum.

I happened to watch a YouTube video from Liz Earle recently. She was talking about her menopause and said that when she started HRT her Tinnitus disappeared. It appears that hormonal changes were definitely the cause in her case.

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 11:34:17 AM »

I have had back ground buzzing 4 days now.  Annoying!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5