Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: M.E. and post-menopause  (Read 1453 times)

Harmony

Re: M.E. and post-menopause
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 07:07:02 PM »

Hi Postmeno 3. I have ME too, I've had it for 22 years this time round, and had it for another 2 years before that but it went into remission for 2 years.  I read about adrenal fatigue years ago and have many symptoms of it, but haven't  tried to treat it. I'm sure it's one of many bodily systems that are compromised with this horrible illness. Menopause has exacerbated the ME, I think it's a double whammy because there are so many symptoms that overlap. The end of my long term relationship and my family moving away a few years apart didn't help, I'm lonely and have been struggling with depression much of the time since.

I've found two things that have helped -  intermittent fasting, and using a rebounder (mini trampoline). The IF improved my energy levels, following a 16:8 fasting/eating window, and eating more healthily. I did this 3 days a week, and looked and felt the best I'd felt for many years. I lost weight more quickly and easily than I ever had before too. Intermittent fasting seems to be very beneficial, helping the body to repair and heal during the fasting hours. Unfortunately I went back to my old eating patterns/comfort eating when life got really difficult, and I haven't been able to stick with it long term since. It wasn't even difficult after the first week or so, when the hunger pangs subsided. Obviously everyone is different, and it might not be beneficial to others with ME, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

The rebounder is very good to use because it effectively clears the lymphatic system of toxins, which is really good for your health. They're not hugely expensive to buy, but you do need to buy a good quality one such as Tunturi, not a cheap one from Argos etc. You only need to use it for a few minutes at a time, (you can start with 30 seconds or less)  starting with once a day, then preferably increase to at least twice a day. You can just do the "basic bounce" where your feet don't even leave the mat, you sort of push down with your feet, with soft knees, and this sets the mat in motion - it's hard to explain. Just doing that is very beneficial, even if you don't progress to doing much longer/more energetic sessions.

I tried loads of supplements and treatments over the years, some of which helped a little at first, but the improvement didn't last. IF and rebounding are the only things that I can recommend as being effective for me.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:08:41 PM by Harmony »

Butterfly22

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 07:43:38 PM »

Hi, I have ME, I had my daughter at 25 and went straight into menopause and got ME, I have found it difficult as as you will know ME gives you chemical sensitivity, every time I get settled on a hrt it’s discontinued 😟 atm I’m on patches and ustrogen. I’m 47 now xx

Postmeno3

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 08:32:09 PM »

Thanks to both of you. Your efforts with M.E. massively appreciated! Sorry, not much energy post Christmas which always exhausts. The IF wouldn't work with the Adrenal Fatigue aspect, sadly, not recommended; instead a regular, but low GL intake. I can have quite bad balance issues and I would worry about the rebounder, but am willing to give it a careful go! Thanks about the chemical sensitivity awareness. If nothing else, this thread possibly flags up trying to manage menopause and postmenopause alongside the serious complexities of a condition like M.E. Thank you so much!
Pages: 1 [2]