Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Large Degenerating Fibroid - what is the treatment?  (Read 837 times)

Red Fox

Large Degenerating Fibroid - what is the treatment?
« on: December 21, 2020, 03:25:47 PM »

I am 55 and have been on HRT until very recently but I messed up taking the tablets and had 2 periods in 2 weeks. So this prompted quite a bit of investigation. I recently had an Ultrasound and then an MRI scan. My Gynae decided not to do a biopsy of my womb lining (which is thickened) because she felt it was part of the monthly cycle cause by HRT. Now I have come off HRT, under her guidance and I'm pleased to say I feel quite "normal" even though it's been 16 days since I stopped HRT.

But the scans picked up that I have a very large fibroid 12cm x 9cm and a smaller one of 6.5cm. The thing is I don't know if they are external or internal to the uterus.

These fibroids are completely symptomless, no pain, no bloating. I know that the Oestrogen in HRT was "feeding" the fibroids, but now my Gynae has referred my MRI scan to her team of professionals the "MDT" (multi discipline team) to discuss. She said she thinks it's a degenerating fibroid (the larger one).

Has anyone else had this and what are they likely to do about it? These investigations have been going on for 2 months now and I'm feeling pretty stressed about it all. Not sure if they will leave it to see what happens or insist that it is removed.

To hear from others about their experiences is helpful.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 03:35:14 PM by Red Fox »

Red Fox

Re: Large Degenerating Fibroid - what is the treatment?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 05:32:59 PM »

Hi Belle - thank you for this!

I think they will probably want to do something invasive because it "might" cause problems in the future. But I'm interested that you turned down a hysterectomy.

My motto has always been if it ain't broke don't fix it - because I'd rather not have a procedure with this awful pandemic going on - in hospital, I might get sick!

Thank you again - very good to know I'm not alone. x