Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 55

Author Topic: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES  (Read 759977 times)

jeni

Re: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2007, 08:51:27 PM »

I wondered where hot flushes begin for individuals?  Particularly at night, they start around my lower chest area.  It is controllable by pushing the duvet back until it's over.  Similar during the day, but by deep breathing, can control the worst of it.  Otherwise, keeping a fold up fan to hand is useful.

shazza1964

« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »

Hi all,

This is my first post, I am 43 and have had flushes for about 9 months, my doctor told me today that I am menopausal, I just feel like crying.  I get about 4 flushes an hour, my whole body feels as though it is on fire and I sweat horrendously.  I don't even feel I can tell anyone, my hsband would probably just laugh at me, I actually feel embarassed.

Taz2

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »

Hi Shazza and a huge  :welcomemm: from me.

You have no need to feel embarrassed on here and once you get tallking about your feelings and symptoms on here then it is much easier to deal with it when having to talk to your husband. Did your GP offer any help? I think that as you are under the age of 45 then you are considered to be having an "early" menopause. Check out the green menu on the left under Menopause and then What and When you will find the actually usual ages of menopause mentioned. I think, but am not 100% sure, that if you are menopausal under the age of 45 then you should be advised about HRT purely to keep your bones and heart healthy.

I'm sorry that you feel so upset by what you have been told today but it is not surprising. I think that a lot of us on here have felt "Meno? Me? No way - I'm not ready yet" and it does take a while to come to terms with it. You will find tremendous support and help on here. You can post about anything and rant and rave as much as you like. There will always be someone who has some advice for you or just a friendly shoulder for you to lean on.

Have a read through all the posts and you will see that we are all in this together  :hug:

Keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Love Taz x  :bounce:

flutterby

« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:40 PM »

Dear Shazza
A big  :hug: from me. Having hot flushes that often must be awful. I would definitely go back to my GP or other health professional for some help.
As Taz says you should never feel embarrassed on here, no matter how personal you think the problem is.
Please keep posting
Love
Flutterby

Taz2

« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »

Hi Again Shazza - I forgot to say that I am on HRT now and it was the sweats which made finally take it. I wish I had started it earlier. I too had around 4 an hour day and night - Flutterby is right to say go and talk to your GP - within 24 hours of starting the patches my flushes/sweats had completely disappeared. I am sleeping and feeling much stronger and more positive. I am 53 by the way and have been having flushes for almost 2 years.

Love Taz x  :)

LynS

« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »

I'm new here and found the site when searching the web for info! The thing that has driven me to take more definite action is the arrival of the dreaded hot flushes!

It started around 18 months ago when I had a period lasting almost 3 weeks and took myself off to the docs. She gave me a blood test which indicated that my oestrogen levels were so low they couldn't be measured. I had a follow-up test a few weeks later and the levels were low but measurable. We decided I was probably peri-menopausal and to see how things went but to go back if anything else bothered me. Since then I've had missed periods from time to time (no complaints there!) but not much of anything else until recently. I missed a period due around Boxing Day (again no complaint!) but the last couple of weeks I have been having hot flushes, mostly during the day but the odd one at night. They're not awful so far and I don't go red in the face or anything. I'm pretty sure no-one else would know I was having them! But I have them about 20 times a day, a wave of heat and then feeling sweaty. At first they didn't bother me too much but now I'm feeling tired and washed out with them. I'm still sleeping OK, just the occasional one at night which doesn't keep me awake too much. Reading some other experiences makes me realise I'm getting off relatively lightly so far! I get palpitations sometimes too but I'm used to that having suffered with anxiety attacks in the past. Still I'd rather not have them! Oh, and headaches like I've never had before! Reading other posts they all seem to be related. I've started taking Menoherbs this week so I'll have to see if they help.

Reading other posts I realise that at 47 I'm not as much on the young side for these symptoms as I thought I was! It has been very helpful reading other people's experiences, thanks!

Cazikins

« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »

Hi LynS, welcome to the forum.
I am glad to hear that you have found some useful info here.
I was also shocked to realise that I was going through the menopause at the age of 48/49 as I thought I had a few more years to go  :( :( but alas it can strike at anytime, when you least expect it).
I just want to welcome you to the MM website & hope that you get as much out of it as I have, it has been a lifesaver for me, without it I would be a very lonely person.
Love Cazikins xx
 :cat48: :cat48:

Rosebush

« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »

Welcome Lyn, hope the Menoherbs give you some relief, this meno is bugger to cope with, but this site is a life saver.. :)

clairechaps

« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2008, 09:13:58 PM »

Thankyou everyone. I'm not 40 yet and thought I was cracking up - minus 3 outside & sleeping with no covers !! Did a test and got a positive result but thought I was on my own ( my doctor doesn't believe anyone under 50 can start the change !!) What a wonderful website ::) ;D

Taz2

« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2008, 09:19:17 PM »

Hi Claire - welcome to the forum/menomadhouse  ;D ;D

Dr's!! What do some of them know??  ::) :beat: :beat:

Love taz x  :bounce: :bounce:

clairechaps

« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »

Thank Taz - I've got a funny feeling I may be visiting this site quite often ! :) I feel like the new kid in school !

carolyngleave

« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2008, 02:15:10 PM »

Hi
Nightsweats seems to be one of the worst problem we seem to have!!!!!

Try wearing sleepwear in a special fabric that wicks the moisture away - go to "Coolsleepwear.co.uk" - we set up this co. recently and so far the feedback has been great, so its not just me that finds its really helped to feel dry and comfortable. The fabric was originally for sweaty atheletes!!!(which says it all). Just have a look and read of the website!!

Hope it helps and if you do decide to try it would love to hear your feedback and put the word around, if you're pleased, to your friends.
All the best
Carolyn
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 05:56:34 PM by carolyn »

Rosebush

« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »

I sleep in my birthday suit, on a bath towel, with a bath sheet over me and a summer weight duvet, and still i feel on fire when i get them, also soaking wet, can sometimes go over an hour between each one now, but did get them every 15/20mins.

In the last 24hrs, i have had 17, last Friday my diary read 22, i am taking sage & starflower oil as recommed by another member, so hope next Friday it will be even less...

N.B My poor hubby sleeps in thermals.. :-\

Rosebush

« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2008, 09:40:26 AM »

Last night head on pillow, 3mins then first hot sweats, bad again for the next 3hrs but then.......had a gap of 1hr 45mins & 2 of 1hr 30mins, in between hot sweats, hope this continues :)

sarah bird

« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »

Hi Rosebush,

Glad to hear you've had a better night  :) Its amazing how even the smallest improvement cheers you up .

I find myself getting quite excited if I've had a better time of it ( with the flushes that is ) how sad is that !

Though sadly these "improvements" tend to be a bit short lived  :(  its often a case of one step forward and two back.

However on a brighter note I do think that after 5yrs of the sweats from hell and other c**p before that ....dare I say it things DO seem to be going in generally the right direction.
Its only when you start to feel just a tiny bit better that you realise how awful its all been .

Sooo hang on in there all you hot ladies its got to end sometime !

love to all, Sarah b x
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 55