Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How to manage VA and Osteoporosis with breast cancer risk?  (Read 877 times)

TnToast

How to manage VA and Osteoporosis with breast cancer risk?
« on: December 09, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »

Hi

I have been posting on here about trying to find a way to manage my VA. I am currently on week 6 of Ovestin (4 weeks loading and now every other night) but so far have had only minimal improvement.

I am now due to go back to the GP to review the situation.

However, reading and posting on here and receiving lots of helpful advice has got me thinking. I have bad VA, have had it for 6-7 years now and it's been getting worse (meno at 45) and also got diagnosed with Osteoporosis in my spine and Osteopenia in my hips back in Feb. Am I right in thinking I would probably be best taking systemic HRT to manage both these together?

I am very wary of it because, after a mammogram 4 years, ago they found some atypical cells which I had removed and my mum's mum had to have a full mastectomy at my age. So I suppose I'm worried that taking systemic HRT might cause me to develop breast cancer too.

I know the risk is small and that the cosequences of Osteoporosis can be terrible so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this or a similar experience? And would systemic HRT improve the VA much? Also I don't want periods/bleeding again! Had to have a resection after floods in peri which were a complete nightmare!

So - HRT for Osteo and VA or biphosphonates and local oestrogen?

Thanks for reading and any advice... :)

Tinkerbell

Re: How to manage VA and Osteoporosis with breast cancer risk?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 04:30:11 PM »

Systemic HRT has helped my VA although i still need Vagifem as well.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 05:29:09 PM »

Quality of Life?   I had breast disease in the mid-1990s and my GP never hesitated when prescribing vaginal atrophy treatment. It also depends on what type of cells were removed as well as what type of breast disease relatives have been treated for.

VA needs localised treatment to get symptoms under control.  It is a small amount of active ingredient and Life is pretty difficult with treatment.  Rarely, some ladies are so badly affected that they need surgical intervention to part the 'lips'  :-\  :'(.

I have found that I can control my symptoms easily by being aware of the stmptoms that may become worse.

Have a look at the appropriate osteoporosis website, details I posted yesterday [ I think ]  ::)

TnToast

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

I would be happy to continue with the Ovestin (and something else for osteoporosis) but I haven't seen much improvement yet. Do things continue to improve on the maintenance routine (twice a week) over time? It's only been 6 weeks so far so I think I am probably being too impatient, but the burning from dry skin in the area and a split which started to get a bit better and then split again because I wasn't using moisturisers during the first few weeks, was really getting me down.

I wondered if systemic HRT would have more effect and also help the osteoporosis? I was hesitant about it though because of the breast history (just 'moderate epithelial atypia' apparently). My grandmother had breast cancer.

I'm confused about which combination would be best.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »

'ovestin' can be used nightly along with the moisturisers.  It's Trial and Error which can be tiring.  It's about keeping the whole area supple to avoid splitting. 

SarahJane1234

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:57:42 AM »

I'm using ovestin and have just started HRT - the dose in the ovestin is too low to help with other menopausal symptoms, including osteoporosis, I think.  GP says it's fine for me to use both.

I think if you use oestrogen via the skin (gel/patch) the risk of BC is reduced?  it is a risk but quite a low one, I was surprised to read that being overweight or drinking 2 glasses of wine a night raises the risk more that HRT does.

diet can play a part too - I am personally now vegan and prefer to avoid the hormones in dairy.