Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Post Menopausal Bleeding like a period  (Read 2955 times)

Grheliz1

Re: Post Menopausal Bleeding like a period
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »

Sore breasts pre-bleed is normal.  Surely  :-\

I was responding to Uptick's post: my post-menopausal bleeds are perhaps less a cause of concern to the consultant I saw because they are responding to the HRT as 'periods' with the premenstrual symptoms associated with those, rather than there being something more sinister causing the bleeds.

I hope, anyway.

Uptick

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 04:52:27 PM »

Blimey, I had no idea as many as 10% (or even 5%) would bleed again after a year.

I wonder how long it will take them work out that some women are not meno at 55. If you have any stats I would be interested to see them.

They call it late onset menopause and it's more common than one might think.

The Timing of the Age at Which Natural Menopause Occurs
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3285482/

Should I be worried about late-onset menopause? » Professor Andreas Obermair
https://www.obermair.info/latest-news/blog/late-onset-menopause/

Age at natural menopause and risk of incident cardiovascular disease: a pooled analysis of individual patient data - The Lancet Public Health
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(19)30155-0/fulltext

menopausalalways

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 05:05:53 PM »

Just read your post with interest. I had my last proper period when I was 59 or 60 - (cant remember properly :O)
All the Dr asked was when did my Ma or Grandma finish? Ma was 57 Grab was 62
That was it!

sheila99

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »

:thankyou:
Thanks Uptick

Uptick

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 06:29:54 PM »

You're welcome!

Bradenton69

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2020, 11:34:00 PM »

Thank you for replying. No I’m not  on HRT that’s the next step once I have  the investigation work carried out at hospital in a couple of weeks. I’m sure it was a period. Bugger is for 2 months I felt great. No sweats etc then bang here we go again

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 09:56:25 AM »

The reason for the 12 months cut off for investigation of "post-menopausal bleeding" is a conservative one, to ensure that all women are investigated if they bleed after 12 months without a natural period, so that no potnetial cases of cancer are missed. It is not to say that having a period more than 12 months after going without one is anyway abnormal and likely to be cancer. As with everything there is a spectrum of times when women may ovulate after a long time without one and as a result of studies this has been set at 12 months.

From what I recall, the Stages of Reproductive Ageing Workshop (STRAW) referred to I think in a previous post, highlighted that in women with premature ovarian failure ie premature menopause, ovarian activity may be more likely to resume spontaneously than in older women - but the same 12 month cut-off for investigation stands.

I was responding to Uptick's post: my post-menopausal bleeds are perhaps less a cause of concern to the consultant I saw because they are responding to the HRT as 'periods' with the premenstrual symptoms associated with those, rather than there being something more sinister causing the bleeds.

I hope, anyway.

If you are on HRT then the term "post-menopausal bleeds" is actually not strictly accurate. If you are on cyclical HRT then a withdrawal bleed is normal. If you are on continuous combined HRT - this is designed as a no bleed regime but only if you are post-menopausal. Any woman who is post-menopausal and who does bleed beyond the 6 or so months settling in time after starting this type of HRT - should report this to the doctor, as well as any woman on conti HRT who has settled  down and does not bleed - and then suddenly has a bleed. While likely to be due to an imbalance of progesterone/oestrogen due to the HRT, nevertheless it is as important to check as a genuine post-menopausal bleed.

It is absolutely crucial that any bleeding after 12 months without one, should be investigated in women not on HRT to rule out potential hyperplasia/cancer.

Bradenton - hopefully in your case it's a late ovulation (the lack of sweats are a bit of a give away - indoicating that maybe oestrogen was rising and you ovulated?) - all the best and let us know :)

I hope this is helpful.

Hurdity x

Grheliz1

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2020, 02:25:33 PM »

I hope, anyway.

If you are on HRT then the term "post-menopausal bleeds" is actually not strictly accurate. If you are on cyclical HRT then a withdrawal bleed is normal. If you are on continuous combined HRT - this is designed as a no bleed regime but only if you are post-menopausal. Any woman who is post-menopausal and who does bleed beyond the 6 or so months settling in time after starting this type of HRT - should report this to the doctor, as well as any woman on conti HRT who has settled  down and does not bleed - and then suddenly has a bleed. While likely to be due to an imbalance of progesterone/oestrogen due to the HRT, nevertheless it is as important to check as a genuine post-menopausal bleed.

It is absolutely crucial that any bleeding after 12 months without one, should be investigated in women not on HRT to rule out potential hyperplasia/cancer.

Bradenton - hopefully in your case it's a late ovulation (the lack of sweats are a bit of a give away - indoicating that maybe oestrogen was rising and you ovulated?) - all the best and let us know :)

I hope this is helpful.

Hurdity x

Yes, I've been investigated over the last four months for atypical hyperplasia, though they are starting to swing towards typical hyperplasia and the consultant I saw last time was interested that my bleeds felt more like periods. My biopsies are still ambiguous enough for me to be kept on a three-monthly biopsy routine and I am having a Mirena.

Bradenton69

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 09:21:58 AM »

Hi there,

Thought I would post an update and where I am at with things and again looking for advice, comments or general experience please.

I attended the hospital 2 weeks ago and they carried out an internal as first step to check lining etc.  Lining was still thick but I have a 2cm cyst.  Nothing unusual there as I have had issues before, also suffer(ed) from Endo and lesions so everything is pretty stuck together inc. my bowel to my womb, which leads me on to the actual test.  Basically they couldn't proceed due to my cervix not playing ball and only way to do the procedure was to knock me out which they didn't want to do at this stage as they felt 80% confident all was okay?  They carried out CA125 test which I used to get every 3 months years ago and I still haven't had the results.  Also booked in for a ultra sound which is schedule for Tuesday coming.

To add to the mix I had another period last week or a bleed for about  2 days but very light, however tummy was mega crampy which is something I haven't been bothered with for years.  So between 1st bleed and 2nd looks like approx 8 weeks. 

Since the bleed stopped night sweats have been terrible as have the night time adrenaline rushes, tummy crampy and banging headaches.

Looks like I am back at square 1 ?

Anyone got any advice or words of help please :)

Pages: 1 [2]