Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Sandrena and provera and bleeding  (Read 820 times)

debra217

Sandrena and provera and bleeding
« on: December 07, 2020, 11:39:28 AM »

Hello lovely ladies I wonder if anyone can help. After a few unsuccessful attempts at various tablets and patches (bloating and stomach pain that didn't go after 5 months) I've finally found a routine that seems to work.  I am only on month 3 but so far so good. 

I apply 1mg of Sandrena gel every day and take 10mg of of Provera in tablet form for 14 days every month.  However I have had no period at all.  My periods stopped completely around 2 years ago - I'm aged 55.

I was under the impression that the Provera was required to clear the womb to help prevent cancers when taking hrt and therefore expected a bleed/period.  I have been unable to contact doctor. I am wondering if anyone else is on this regime and whether you do or don't get a bleed?

TIA

Deborah

Wrensong

Re: Sandrena and provera and bleeding
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 03:28:33 PM »

Hi Deborah, my understanding is that a certain percentage of women have no bleed on sequi HRT.  15% from memory - but don't quote me on that - memory is rubbish & I can't find the source of that stat today.

I'm postmeno like you & found I had no withdrawal bleed for nearly a year on a far lower dose of Provera than you & for only 7 days pcm, admittedly with only a low dose patch.  Then eventually had very slight spotting one month, so scanned to check all was OK & found lining was only 1-2mm with no abnormalities.  So the Provera had been adequate to thin whatever buildup I got from the oestradiol.  Bloods showed I was absorbing the oestradiol well - getting twice as much from the low dose patch as I previously got from a different brand patch of double the dose.  But postmeno, with no ovaries & very skinny I won't have been producing much oestrogen of my own & if you are postmeno you should be in a similar situation in terms of minimal endogenous oestrogen.

Not until we increased my dose of oestradiol did I begin to get withdrawal bleeds on the same minimal dose of Provera.

I think the synthetic prog variants like Provera & Norethisterone can be very efficient.  So my guess is your Provera dose is working very well for you.  Alternatively, you may not be absorbing the Sandrena sufficiently to build the lining much.  As you say
so far so good
I take it your symptoms are well controlled, suggesting you are getting as much oestrogen as you need?  So the poor absorption suggestion seems less likely.

Do you have any gut feeling for what might be happening?  You could maybe ask whoever manages your HRT about scanning for reassurance.
Wx
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 03:30:55 PM by Wrensong »

debra217

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »

Thank you Wrensong. My symptoms are all under control so yes, dose must be effective. That is reassuring to know. I was worried that I should be getting a bleed.

Next time I get a chance to speak to the doctor I will mention re the bleed and the possibility of a scan although I think this is something that may need to be done at  a clinic but at least I have more knowledge when I speak to her.

Thanks again for your quick and very knowledgeable reply.

Deborah

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 03:42:49 PM »

Yes, usual reason for scanning postmenopause is unscheduled bleeding rather than lack of an expected bleed, so I had to have my scan done privately.  But worth it for the reassurance.  Please do mention it to your GP - my suspicion of what might be happening with you is only based on my own experience.
Wx