Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: 4 years postmenopausal but getting 'period' pains and other symptoms  (Read 1129 times)

Iris67

Hi there, longstanding member but don't post very often as seem to be struggling with non-stop health issues! 

I wanted to ask - the official guidance online doesn't help - does anyone else still get period pains or migranes etc. as a postmenopausal woman? I've had the odd light pains but suddenly it's like the period without the bleeding!

Thanks in advance.

Uptick

Re: 4 years postmenopausal but getting 'period' pains and other symptoms
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 05:54:43 PM »

Hi Iris67, I see that you were also hypothyroid when you were in menopause transition. Could you have skipped periods because of thyroid issues and not menopause? Could you still be perimenopausal? My migraines practically vanished after menopause.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 06:40:43 PM »

Have you periods stopped?  I had period type pains for years after they stopped.

Iris67

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 06:04:35 PM »

Sorry for the late reply - ended up in A&E shortly after this post!! A month of strange illness then my Dad had two heart attacks....

Anyway - thank you so much for the replies. I stopped my periods in Oct 2017, clean break and haven't had one since. Bloods indicate very 'post' but still get the pains...

Uptick

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 06:22:10 PM »

Oh no, your poor Dad, how is he doing?

I'm 4 years postmenopause and I have the odd pains, but I thinkt they are from chronic pelvic inflammatory disease. I don't have any infection, but I suppose some opportunistic bug (fungi or bacteria) overgrowth can flare up from time to time and cause these pains.

Iris67

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 07:46:23 PM »

Hey Uptick  :) It's been difficult as he has never really been ill despite being 77, and is super fit usually. Oddly he has something called Takotsubo's Syndrome which is what's known as the 'broken heart' disease. You know when a partner dies and the other one goes soon after? We can't work out what may have caused it. He has been incredibly stressed as my sister had brain surgery 4 years ago and found out that her scumbag husband had been having an affair for years and was carrying on when my sister was in hospital and during her recovery. As her Dad he cannot do anything (she has asked him not to) and I feel like punching the pig's lights out - god only knows how my Dad must feel!!

That's a really good point about the PID - I thought it might be but couldn't face anything else...

Uptick

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 08:20:28 PM »

Oh Iris, that's so sad, I hope your sister is okay now. Tell your Dad that no cheating scumbag deserves his 'broken heart'. Sending a big hug to you all.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 10:00:22 AM »

Hi Iris67

If you are getting abdominal pains and you are well post-menopause then do please get checked out by the doctor, notwithstanding the difficulties you are going through with yuor father's health.

For me peri-menopause was the start of getting migraines and especially after starting HRT - at the end of the month before my withdrawal bleed, but that seems to have triggered something wherev#by I get migraines sometimes now from other causes - not the very severe headache/sickness but a persistent 3 day one along with the other symptoms. Did you get migraines before? Maybe they are nothing to do with your hormones?

You haven't said how old you are? If you haven't had a natural period for 3 + years and do not have coil or mini pill, then if they were regular up to when you became peri-menopausaL  then you are most definitely classed as post-menopausal. However depending on your age - if you had a premature or very early menopause there can be a greater chance of ovarian function resuming spontaneously.

Hurdity x

Iris67

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 03:22:56 PM »

Gosh Hurdity I didn't realise that ovarian function can spontaneously resume! I'm 53.