Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Cooling bedding recommendations?  (Read 3020 times)

Gilla999

Cooling bedding recommendations?
« on: November 30, 2020, 06:13:09 PM »

I read an earlier post recommending wool duvets as they're better at wicking up moisture. I realised I probably have the least cooling mattress protector, pillows and duvet ever so am planning to invest in some new. My night sweats are unbearable!

Any recommendations or tips to avoid?

Wrensong

Re: Cooling bedding recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 06:59:11 PM »

We have Fogarty 1-tog duvets, but think they may only sell them in summer.  I bought 2 so we could double up on very cold nights.  Still get too hot under even 1 of those, but better than thicker duvets.  Googling, M&S website suggests they are still selling 1-togs.

Refrigerated HWBs placed beside the bed can be dragged in once things hot up.  Can be a bit of a shock to the system, but helps cool down enough to get back to sleep . . . until body heat warms them up!

Also sleep with windows open when possible.  A glass of chilled water left on bedside table for when sweats start.  And yes, as Jaypo suggests - a biiiiig quiet fan!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:05:31 PM by Wrensong »

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 07:14:30 PM »

Thanks both! I've slept with a big expensive fan on me for years and the window wide open even in mid winter - still not enough! Am thinking of trying a wool duvet but struggling to find a cooling mattress topper which I think might be the main culprit.....

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 08:26:48 PM »

Hello Gilla999

I invested in a wool duvet, pillow and mattress topper and I think they are great but they were expensive.

I use the same duvet winter and summer and it works well. I must admit that my night sweats were never the worst of my meno symptoms and the ones I did have now  appear to be a thing of the past. However I would definitely recommend wool bedding and you may notice more of an improvement if your sweats are really bad.
I ordered the duvet directly from a sheep farm but the pillow and mattress topper came from John Lewis.

If you decide to buy them let us know how you get on. I am not on commission, honest lol.

Take care.

K.

Gilla999

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 08:39:05 PM »

Thank you Kathleen! On the recommendation of a friend I decided to opt for a silk duvet instead of wool as it's also supposed to be good too. Just ordered it... spent a small fortune!! I've also bought a cooling mattress protector... fingers crossed they help! The problem is that I like heavy bedding and layers to wrap up in. In my internet rabbit hole I even found a mattress topper system that contains water and responds to your body heat and cools down via a cooling system... at £500 it was a step too far but give it a few more years and you never know  ;D

Foxylady

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 07:21:00 PM »

Gilla999 - The woolroom, winter sale on! I splashed out on wool bedding few years ago, keeps you cool during the summer, warm during winter it regulates your body temperature as it is a natural fibre. Wouldn't look past it, had been humming and hawing about buying one of their beds but have put it off till next Jan sale (have had too much else to spend money on recently - new boiler!). x

Gilla999

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 08:39:04 PM »

Thanks so much for reply! The silk duvet was lovely but a total waste of £180 - still had crazy night sweats with it. Now I've settled on just having a summer 4.5 tog regular duvet, the window wide open and the fan on... even when it's -4 outside  ;D
I seem to be doing much better at the moment x

Foxylady

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »

Gilla999 glad your doing better even if you have icicles in your bedroom from the window being open! In the summer I invested in a great (quiet) fan, in fact bought 2 they are so good one on a stand for bedroom other to sit on living sideboard. Overall my experience is that no one 'thing' will solve your symptoms it tends to require a few solutions, other than when I have other health issues (joint pain, stomach porblems) my sleep has been much better since being on HRT, aswell as the other steps, diet, exercise, environment (bedding/fans). x

PMDD

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »

I had a rubbish mattress (so hard it was untrue), so I treated myself to a lovely spring and memory foam....comfort is unbelievable, but OMG I am now a sweating mess!! I had no sweats before this! Also it seems I sweat a horrible vinegar'y scent  ;D ::)......delightful

Now i've read up on it, memory foam mattresses are the absolute worst for menopausal night sweats, so i'm researching good toppers for it, bamboo seem good on reviews, so i've got one but it's only going on tonight so will update  :-*

befuddled

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 10:50:19 PM »

Hi Gilla

I had gel pillows, lots of them, down beside the bed. About £4 each. I  used two at a time and just kept swapping them for cool ones when they'd warmed up. But then started hrt, and within a couple of weeks i didn't need them anymore.

JW2405

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 07:10:07 AM »

Hi all,

PMDD how did you get on with the mattress topper? I've just added the panda one into my amazon basket  but thought I'd have a look on here first!

PMDD

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 02:48:21 PM »

Hi all,

PMDD how did you get on with the mattress topper? I've just added the panda one into my amazon basket  but thought I'd have a look on here first!

Unfortunately for me, the bamboo one was rubbish......i'm contemplating spending another few hundred quid on a (another!) replacement mattress, it is really getting me down  ::)

Cookie25

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 10:32:53 PM »

Hi ladies

I have no full sweats yet, just roasting feet and legs. I'm coping with a summer 4.5 tog duvet in scottish winter when I would normally have had a 12 tog! Plus I find a cold filled water bottle really helpful xxx

ricekrispie

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 12:50:37 PM »

I sleep with a frozen hot water bottle. It's brilliant even on the hottest summer nights too. Keep it in it's cover or wrap in a pillow case. Then cuddle it when you need to throughout the night. Works a treat. Open windows and fans do nothing for me but pressing this into my belly and chest works a treat.

Know1412

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 11:52:09 AM »

Hi.
I'm looking into wool duvets and I know the tog rating isn't as exact as others . We currently have a 13.5 tog synthetic .
Out of interest, has anyone bought a split duvet so yiu can have  cooler side and hubby a warmer?
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:56:05 AM by Know1412 »