Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Update on coming off HRT  (Read 1098 times)

Traceyjd

Update on coming off HRT
« on: November 28, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »

I just wanted to feed back my experience of coming off HRT.  It took me such a long time thinking about starting HRT.  I’m 56 now and went on about 20 months ago.  I was one of those that was determined to not take HRT but when the symptoms of menopause really Kicked in, I got to the point I just couldn’t live with the hot sweats any longer.  Night and day, lack of sleep, the palpitations, feeling dizzy and trying to work customer facing whilst physically melting in front of people, I counted 40 one day, I finally decided to give HRT a go.  I started on Evorel patches and Utrogestan, the hot sweats started to lessen and I was so pleased but then I began to get my hormonal migraines back, they stopped when my periods had 12 months before and the mood swings, the aches.  I had got rid of some symptoms only to get some others.  I just didn’t feel myself.  Over the next 18 months I persevered, I went to the Newson clinic and was diagnosed with Histamine Intolerance, this helped me make sense of lots of things over the years.  The clinic were great, advising on dietary changes I could try to combat the histamine, changing my doses of patches, trying a Utrogestan vaginally, nothing seemed to help.  We would sort one problem but cause another, so 8 weeks ago I decided to stop HRT completely.  This was as difficult a decision as it was to start because I was afraid of what might happen.  That’s the thing,  HRT is such a big decision for most, difficult starting then equally difficult stopping and all because if you’re like me, we just want a good quality of life and menopause often steals that.

I wanted to post to say, I’m ok after stopping, currently I’m so much better.  I actually feel so much more me again, I’m happier, less up and down emotionally, the aches are better, headaches have improved.  HRT just wasn’t for me and the best thing I did, was recognise that.  It’s the most wonderful thing for lots of ladies but for some like me, it just doesn’t suit......but I tried.  The hot sweats are back but nowhere near as bad.   I’m really thankful for trying HRT because for me it allowed me to do perspective of both options.

robotwars

Re: Update on coming off HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 02:45:46 PM »

HI, Thats great your doing so well, can i just ask if you take any herbal or vitamins to help you through this? Did you just stop or ween yourself off???

Traceyjd

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 07:20:56 PM »

Hi Robotwars

I spoke to my consultant at Newson and she advised me that as I was on a low dose, Evorel 50 patches and Utrogestan vaginally alternate days, that I could come straight off.  I haven’t taken anything herbal or any vitamins as I wanted to get a true picture of how I would be off HRT and at the moment I’m doing really well.

KarineT

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 02:03:29 PM »

That's excellent.  That goes to show that HRT is not always the answer.  I have never taken it and I'm really hoping that I won't have to.  I would say my symptoms are mild to.moderate at the moment and I do hope that they will go away.  I don't really know where I am at the moment because since January this year I haven't had a period.  If it continues like this after, say, unril January 2021,
then I will have oficially reached the menopause.  In February this year I did a blood test to check to AMH levels (ovarian reserve) and they suggested that I'm postmeno as the level is very low.  I understad that even after 12 months without a period, there's no guarantee that they can't come back but I wonder if age has any bearing on this. I turned 50 in October last.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »

Hello Traceyjd.

I am pleased that you are doing well  and many thanks for updating the forum.

I'm sure  you are aware that eight weeks without HRT is a very short time and  some symptoms may yet return, though hopefully not for long.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

Traceyjd

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 07:13:49 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Thanks, yes they could, fingers crossed they don’t.  I’ll let you know.

X

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 07:38:08 PM »

Hello again Traceyjd.

I am sure many ladies will be watching your progress with interest.

Good luck and take care.

K