Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Just got a prescription for Beta Blockers Propranolol 40 mg. Anxious...  (Read 1831 times)

loonarider

Hi all,

So I'm going through my usual bouts of anxiety and panic, horrible nights woken up gasping for breath, heart racing. All day toady my heart has been doing the funky dance - of course my mind jumps to something morbid. Doctor has arranged an appointment for a chest scan. My last chest scan was early this year before the pandemic and all clear.

Dreading what might have changed since then, hopefully nothing since I haven't been eating terribly or doing anything to harm my lungs or heart. Most probably hormonal, either way I'm sitting here with a box of propanolol 40 mg tablets, and a bit anxious to take them. I though a lower dose would suffice given it's my first time using this medication.

What's your thoughts? They are coated, can I half them? Or shall I throw caution to the wind and neck it?

Help! :D ???

Glass.half.full

Re: Just got a prescription for Beta Blockers Propranolol 40 mg. Anxious...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »

Hi  ;D. My GP put me on Propranolol back in 2014 when my palpitations first started.  I must admit that they didn’t really work for me (I was having hops skips and jumps all over the place as well as a periodic racing heart - like I was running uphill but in actual fact I was just sitting quietly).  Anyway, after about 4-6 months of the beta blockers I gave up and went on HRT and lo and behold the panic stopped, the palpitations stopped and all was well with the world (seriously the difference was startling and came within 2 weeks of taking HRT).  Fast forward 5 years and I decided to take a break from HRT due to the patches being virtually impossible to get hold of.  All was well for a good year then bam! The palpitations start again and the occasional racing heart.  What I’m trying to get at here is that the beta blockers may not be the panacea that you are hoping for.  But be brave, give them a go and see how you get on.  I was also terrified of taking them and would announce to my husband that I’d taken one every time just in case I passed out or something.  If they don’t work and you are able to take HRT give it a try, I know it’s not for everyone but it really was amazing for me and I’m hoping to be able to go back on it soon. Take care lovely xxx

loonarider

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 07:14:27 PM »

Hi  ;D. My GP put me on Propranolol back in 2014 when my palpitations first started.  I must admit that they didn’t really work for me (I was having hops skips and jumps all over the place as well as a periodic racing heart - like I was running uphill but in actual fact I was just sitting quietly).  Anyway, after about 4-6 months of the beta blockers I gave up and went on HRT and lo and behold the panic stopped, the palpitations stopped and all was well with the world (seriously the difference was startling and came within 2 weeks of taking HRT).  Fast forward 5 years and I decided to take a break from HRT due to the patches being virtually impossible to get hold of.  All was well for a good year then bam! The palpitations start again and the occasional racing heart.  What I’m trying to get at here is that the beta blockers may not be the panacea that you are hoping for.  But be brave, give them a go and see how you get on.  I was also terrified of taking them and would announce to my husband that I’d taken one every time just in case I passed out or something.  If they don’t work and you are able to take HRT give it a try, I know it’s not for everyone but it really was amazing for me and I’m hoping to be able to go back on it soon. Take care lovely xxx

I REALLY want to take HRT currently in the process of waiting for a hormone level blood test though before they can prescribe it. What type of HRT were you taking, I'm interested. There is a history of blood clots in my family, so a bit worried about that. I'm guessing the patches are low risk? I'm clueless.

I'll try one BB tab now and see what happens. Phone by my side in case I keel over... ::) :-*

loonarider

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 07:15:43 PM »

(I was having hops skips and jumps all over the place as well as a periodic racing heart - like I was running uphill but in actual fact I was just sitting quietly).

Did the BB tablets cause that?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:28:24 PM »

I had no side effects with Propranolol though they make my neighbour dollally  ::).  I was given them to ease anxiety surges and they really helped.  80mg 3 times a day for a week then down to 40mg at night for several years.  I cut back in the last 18 months and stopped in March. 

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:54:10 PM »

Hi Loonarider.....I have taken propranolol on and off for many years
the dose is a bit trial and error.....I am quite a small frame and have been prescribed 10mg 3 times daily but at present just taking 1 tablet in the morning......my GP said to take as needed as it is a drug that works within 30 mins or so of taking.....
obviously you need to take the advice of your own GP for what is best for you......have to say I haven’t had any problems with it and i am not a person  who reacts that well to meds....xx

loonarider

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 03:08:31 PM »

Thank you for all the replies!

I am sorry I didn't get back sooner, I've been caught up in symptoms and too ill to even go online. My doc ended up reducing the dosage to 10 mg and I've taken one yesterday morning and instantly had a panic attack, but fine now. Didn't notice m heart slowing, and had a terrible night last night into this morning.

I've posted about it elsewhere...

Thank you again ladies xxx :D

loonarider

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 03:09:55 PM »

I had my doseage reduced, took a pill yesterday morning and had an instant panic attack and then the same night it was terrible. I've written a new post about it on here.

ANyhoo, I will definitely look into HRT after my chest x-ray tomorrow. Thank you so much for the response! :D

loonarider

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 03:10:24 PM »

I had no side effects with Propranolol though they make my neighbour dollally  ::).  I was given them to ease anxiety surges and they really helped.  80mg 3 times a day for a week then down to 40mg at night for several years.  I cut back in the last 18 months and stopped in March.

Thanks CKLD  :D

loonarider

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 03:12:11 PM »

Those beta blockers made me worse!

Reject this as woo if you choose, but very often palpitations are a sign of mineral deficiency. You may be low in magnesium or potassium or both. Or have an imbalance between the two.
Stress depleted magnesium very very quickly. Maybe try taking some throughout the day. Coconut water is an excellent source of potassium. You’d have to eat a lot of bananas to get enough potassium so eating one or two won’t cut it.
Try the magnesium? It’ll help you relax too.

I always wondered about electrolytes and miineral deficiencies. I wonder what kind of magnesium is best for women of our age? I have 200 mg tabs of magnesium citrate which I keep forgetting to take.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »

I doubt if the BB would react instantly.  If your anxiety levels were already high then you would be 'looking' for problems, I've done the same  >:(  ::).  Did the feelings settle ?

loonarider

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 04:09:41 PM »

I doubt if the BB would react instantly.  If your anxiety levels were already high then you would be 'looking' for problems, I've done the same  >:(  ::).  Did the feelings settle ?

True, and yes they did, whcih lead me to believe it wasn't the BB's.  ::) Thanks!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 04:56:28 PM »

I think my brain is so worried that it looks for problems, i.e. I wake in the night to C if I've been asleep!  When trying new meds I always start at night so that I can doze and work/sleep through any side effects.