Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Well...what do I do now?! (Early menopause)  (Read 798 times)

MenopauseMaria

• First Flush
Well...what do I do now?! (Early menopause)
« on: November 26, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »

My menopause started relatively early (I was 44).  I had shocking hot flushes, had it confirmed as menopause by the GP, then started immediately on herbal remedies (I have a history of thrombosis, so can't take HRT). 

Four and a half years later, I've finally gone a year without a period.  My question is - what now?!

Is there anything in particular I need to ... do?  My main concern is bone health - my grandma had osteoporosis, and my mum has it too.  I had a Dexa scan when the symptoms first started and it was all fine. 

Any advice on whether I should do anything now - other than buckle up and hope it's manageable (!) - would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Maria

MenopauseMaria

• First Flush
Re: Well...what do I do now?! (Early menopause)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »

Now that's interesting!  I had a DVT 20 years ago, and at the time was warned off the pill and/or HRT.  So it's quite possible I'm working on out of date information.  I hadn't even thought to question it; so thank you!!  I'll also look in to boron.  Thank you so much!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 01:32:59 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  MayB make an appt at a menopause clinic?  Not a gynaecologist as they often don't know much more about menopause than GPs seem to

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary is useful.  Charts progress.

Brisk weight bearing exercise is important throughout Life.  10 mins. walking daily is the least that is recommended: skipping anyone  :D.  I tried a hoopla hoop years ago but couldn't work out how to work it  ;D.  Swimming is calming, some find jogging eases mood swings.  Cycling? we have threads on that too.

A good diet with lots of dairy, fresh fruits and veg.. Treats too ;-).  That'll be chocolate then ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:34:45 PM by CLKD »

MenopauseMaria

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 01:39:58 PM »

There are menopause clinics??  I have so much to learn!

Thanks for all the info - I do like the dietary advice.  Chocolate has calcium in it, so theoretically doesn't count as a treat anyway!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 01:52:13 PM »

;D. you'll fit right in  ;D

You may have a GP who is au fait with menopause.  Any queries you have ask here.  Nowt is OTT or taboo ;-).  Clinics are there to support ladies who need advice about the various types of HRT if required.

Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads: forewarned is forearmed!  ::)

MenopauseMaria

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 02:41:59 PM »

Yeah, I think I'm going to need a glass of wine before I read in to all that.  2020 has been a lot....I can't be dealing with vaginal atrophy as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paz23

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »

There’s been so much research done lately with very interesting results. A lot of which finds the arguments against taking HRT with certain conditions either completely defunked or over-exaggerated and unnecessarily scaremongering.
Dr Newson has loads of info about it on her website. Definitely worth a look for those ladies who have been told in the past that they can’t have HRT.
https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/