Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie to HRT  (Read 1033 times)

Unicorn

Newbie to HRT
« on: November 25, 2020, 10:45:47 AM »

Hi there, I'm a new member and new to this perimenpause malarkey and this site is brilliant 😊 just to say thank you to all.... it makes me feel less bonkers.  I have had anxiety on and off for a couple of years now plus a very dry mouth and just feeling basically strange with different symptoms coming and going.  For the last 3 months or so, I've had a racing heart, palpitations, facial flushing and night sweats etc. etc. And it's been constant, to the point it's really affected my life.  I am on 50mg of Sertraline plus other vitamins.  Now I have started Evorel Sequi patches 8 days ago and am hoping for some relief.  My racing heart and anxiety is through the roof at the moment and I am desperate to feel better.  Can I ask, how long does it take for the patches to start working? I'm so scared I'm going to feel like this forever.

Could someone possibly give me some advice please? I'm 47 xxxx

Evie606

Re: Newbie to HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 12:58:06 PM »

Hi Unicorn,

Welcome!  :)

Definitely give the HRT the full 3 months before you decide if it’s the one for you or not. For me the flushes were the first symptom to go (within 2 weeks) but unfortunately I’m still dealing with the racing heart and anxiety many months later.  I’m also still trying to find the right dose of HRT so don’t be disheartened.
I’m now on beta blockers as my heart rate was getting to dangerous levels so keep your doctor informed about it.  I cut out alcohol and caffeine too.
 Also, please check your Sertraline side effects sheet as I know some AD’s cause a higher heart rate in some people.

E x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 01:07:45 PM »

:welcomemm:  MayB put the product name into the search box on the Forum to see what pops up?  Make notes ;-)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »

My anxiety took 3 months to go though if you had it before peri it might not be caused by low oestrogen. Just be aware that palpitations can be a sign of too much oestrogen as well as too little though if you're having flushes you will be deficient. Flushes usually go within a couple of weeks but other symptoms take longer.

Unicorn

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »

Thank you so much all! I have had anxiety and depression in the past and have been on AD's maintenance dose for years, which has kept me good.  It just seem to come out if nowhere about 2 years ago and come and go for months.  Now I have had the other strange symptoms with it but it just seems 'different' this time.  I have beta blockers too but they make me feel sluggish and fuzzy headed... I dont know which I prefer! I went months feeling well this year and bam..... been awful for about 3 months now I can hardly function xx

Shannonplussed

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »

I’m sorry you’re going through this. I’m wondering if the sertraline isn’t needed at the same dosage once estrogen is in the mix. I wonder that for myself. I think I started taking sertraline because of what I know now in hindsight was perimenopause. Now that my HRT is working, and my anxiety is worsening (feeling amped up, on edge, like a box of frogs), I’m wondering if I’m being overserved with the SSRI. I’m trying to slowly reduce my dosage to see if that helps me.

Unicorn

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 04:25:05 PM »

Hi Shannon! Sorry you're going through it too 🙁 Thank you for your reply too.  Do you know what? I never thought of that, it's a possibility.  I only started the Sertraline in Jan, switching from Citlopram... through this, I have never really been suffering with depression just heart palpitations and racing heart with facial flushing which has turned into anxiety for the last 3 months.  Maybe too much stuff in our systems? 😊 xxx
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 04:43:41 PM by Unicorn »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »

Beta blockas can help.  I often wake feeling fuzzy but it's better than the anxiety ;-)

Unicorn

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 05:25:16 PM »

Lol! This is true! I'd rather feel sluggish than my heart racing madly 😊 xx

Shannonplussed

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 08:50:40 PM »

Dr.Google has me concerned about serotonin syndrome, and your symptoms line up with this as well.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »

Dr Google - who is She when she's up and dressed.  Look at NHS sites for proper info.!

Shannonplussed

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 09:16:40 PM »