Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Coming off HRT  (Read 841 times)

Lynb0973

Coming off HRT
« on: November 26, 2020, 10:32:15 AM »

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted for a while, but I hope you're all doing as well as can be expected.  :)

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has withdrawn from HRT. I am slowly withdrawing from two squirts of Oestragel a night and 100mg of Utrogestan, delivered vaginally, a night. I'm sick of the side effects of bloating, exhaustion, and low moods. I can't reduce the progesterone as the Oxford clinic state unopposed Oestrogen would put me at risk of endometrial cancer, which makes sense. I already feel better having gone down to 1 squirt of Oestragel and 100mg of Utrogestan every three days. I I had an early menopause at 42 due to brain cancer treatment, but I never had classic menopausal symptoms, just nasty side effects from chemo, radio and steroids. The clinic has always been keen for me to stay on it till I'm 50, in three years, as I have some osteopenia and osteoporosis in my hips and spine due to previous medication that stopped my periods. I would rather use exercise, bisphosphonates and my Adcal pastilles to control it.
Thanks for reading and for responses if you've withdrawn or are in the process of doing so.

Taz2

Re: Coming off HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »

I've withdrawn twice due to misinformed doctors thinking I had to come off after five years. The first time I withdrew slowly and the second time just stopped it. Both times the results were the same in that my symptoms returned after three months. Not everyone gets a return of symptoms of course.

Have you tried different progesterones as this is the part which seems to cause most bloating and low mood?

Taz x

Lynb0973

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 04:07:23 PM »

Thanks, Taz. I've used the Mirena coil and it became unbearable after a year. Painfully swollen breasts. Since I never had menopausal symptoms, I don't think they would necessarily appear if I carry on withdrawing slowly, but who knows? Thanks for letting me know your experience.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 04:14:30 PM »

I hope it's an easy withdrawal for you. If you do develop troublesome symptoms in the future it would be worth considering a change of progesterone.

Taz x  :)

Lynb0973

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 05:04:40 AM »

Thanks, Taz! That's very helpful  :)