Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Progesterone  (Read 767 times)

Paz23

Progesterone
« on: November 19, 2020, 10:23:43 PM »

Just a quick question - so I know the progesterone part of HRT is to protect the uterus from the oestrogen part of HRT - but I was wondering are there other menopause issues that taking progesterone helps with? So what I mean is does progesterone help with some symptoms that oestrogen doesn’t? And what are they? Thanks.

Flan747

Re: Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 06:13:55 AM »

As far as I am aware progesterone part in HRT is just to protect the womb. It can help some sleep but I was never fortunate to experience that!!

CherrySG

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 06:53:56 AM »

It really helps me sleep
, as Flan has said. I sleep more deeply and for longer. Makes me calmer too.

Paz23

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »

Thanks lady’s.
I have a friend who has been on a progesterone only pill for years. She’s finding she feels really tired all the time. She is a good 8 years past the age her mum started menopause symptoms and I’m wondering if her hormones are fluctuating and so the higher levels of progesterone don’t suit her any more. Just a thought.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 09:00:10 AM »

Hi Paz23

I've just very briefly answered another post by Karine T on this very topic.

If your friend is on the progesterone only pill - this stops ovulation and periods so menopause ( ie ovarian failure) will continue to happen in the background, and there will come a time when the decreased oestrogen may well cause symptoms and she will be suffering from the effects of this as well as too much progestogen.

How old is your friend ( not that age is a determinant of menopausal status) but if she is in 50s would indicate peri-menopause is likely?

In addition one of the POPs - Cerazette I think - actually reduces oestrogen levels so long term use could make symptoms worse.

It sounds like your friend may benefit from proper HRT? Maybe encourage her to join this forum amd we can help her?

Hurdity x