Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Estrogen levels  (Read 1396 times)

Flan747

Estrogen levels
« on: November 19, 2020, 07:56:44 PM »

This may sound a silly question so I apologise in advance! Since having the mirena coil fitted I have not had a period therefore could my estrogen levels now be too high on Sandrena 4mg! I’ve been getting sore breasts which I’ve never had before and my digestive problems ie bloating have become worse?

dahliagirl

Re: Estrogen levels
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 10:16:31 PM »

Progestogen slows the muscles of the gut so you will need to do something to help it along  ;)

Apparently the amount of progestogen from mirena is highest for the first 6 months and should settle down after that.

Shannonplussed

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 01:16:21 AM »

I’m in the same boat; I need to increase my estrogel to balance. I’m not up on Sandrena but isn’t 4mg already a high dose? Are you able to increase it a touch?

Flan747

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 06:10:52 AM »

Thank you for all your replies.
Yes 4mg is already a high dose so therefore don’t think increasing is an option?
Interesting that it is the first 6 months that progesterone is high release from mirena I have a long while yet then to let it settle
I seem to get a little settled on an HRT regime then something else pops up!
I do think my poor diet plays a part in all this but it’s a vicious circle I eat rubbish when my anxiety starts and think that makes it worse! Seeing a dietician today so hoping she may have some answers.

Paz23

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 09:45:46 AM »

Sore breasts is definitely a symptom of high oestrogen.
I’ve had Mirena coil fitted for 8 years and it’s never caused sore breasts. But I guess not everyone’s body’s react in the same way.

Flan747

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »

Thanks Paz! I do think about trying to reduce slightly with the Sandrena but am always scared another symptoms will return! Would it be that the estrogen to progesterone ratio is now different and that’s why I may need to reduce? I’ve had the coil in for 8 weeks now

Shannonplussed

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 07:33:22 PM »

It may well be. The Mirena acts locally, and has minimal systemic effects. Before you had it, you may have have needed a higher dosage of estrogen to balance systemic progesterone, and now you might be overall tipped in favour of estrogen. Trial and error?

Flan747

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 08:03:27 PM »

That’s the trouble isn’t it all trial and error! Will have a good think about reducing the Sandrena!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »

Progesterone affects the breasts. The progestogen in the Mirena is absorbed systemically so it could well be this causing your symptoms. Nothing to do with "balance". If you were happy on the Sandrena dose then personally I would not reduce it but you may have to ride out the progestogen effects - the amount given out does decline over the 4-5 years of its life but as dahliagirl says - highest in the first few months when it is new.

Hurdity x

Flan747

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »

Thanks Hurdity! Just starting a strict health kick to see if that helps with symptoms 🤞

Flan747

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »

That’s interesting to hear Birdy! The diet I am trying is basically eating a protein a fat and a carb each meal to balance out sugar levels! I’m cutting out wheat as I am intolerant and being tested for diary intolerance next visit! I am keen to try a diet as I honestly feel HRT is not working great for me alone

Flan747

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 02:45:37 PM »

We do sound very similar! It’s all such a minefield and I which I could find some stability but it just doesn’t happen for me! Hoping the diet will improve so I can at least reduce my dosage!