Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Having a bad day!  (Read 870 times)

Evie606

Having a bad day!
« on: November 18, 2020, 09:10:10 PM »

Hi All,

Many stresses today have sent my heart rate and palpitations up.
I’m already on beta blockers for this issue and I’ve been trying slow deep breathing when I can feel things getting higher.
However I frequently notice that my heart rate goes higher rather than slowing down and I found this online :-

Studies in healthy humans have found that controlled slow breathing, particularly at 6 breaths per min, is associated with an increase in fluctuations of both blood pressure and heart rate, compared to breathing at a typical rate.

What kind of breathing helps with palps and anxiety if controlled slow breathing has the opposite effect? I thought that kind of breathing was recommended to calm you?

I’m so confused!  :-\
Thanks!

Evie606

Re: Having a bad day!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 09:23:16 PM »

Hey Birdy,

My old beta blocker did that but this one seems ok. I sleep fine and it’s been pretty good at keeping things under control.  I had tachycardia episodes where I was rushed to A & E so need them to keep heart rate under control but have been trying the slow deep breathing and it definitely puts my heart rate up not down.
Glad it works for you though.  :)

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 09:38:12 PM »

Hello Evie606.

I think there is a breathing technique called 4-7-8 which is supposed to calm us by invoking the autonomic nervous system (I think I've got that right). The idea is that you breathe in for a count of 4, hold your breath for a count of 7 then breathe out for a count of 8.  I find this helps when I am relaxed enough to try it lol. I also recall a similar breathing exercise when I did yoga. It seems odd that slow breathing would put your heart rate up, could you be shallow breathing and not realise it? Maybe do some more research or watch any tutorials online.

Wishing you well and let us know if you find a technique that helps you.

K.

Evie606

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 10:21:14 PM »

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for that, it’s pretty much what I’ve been doing but not as long.
I’ve been breathing in through the nose for 4, hold it for 4 and out through the mouth for 4. Closing my eyes and doing it slowly.
I’ll try your method though and see if I can find some videos.

Much appreciated!  :)

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 10:54:32 AM »

Hi Evie, I found that with controlled breathing to get heart rate down it helps to find a rhythm that feels as natural as possible.  Could you perhaps experiment with the number of in & out breaths & pause length, so that the exercise feels more comfortable than forced?  If we end up doing one or other stage for too long I think this taxes the body.

I also found that once I got the breathing rhythm right, I still had to continue the exercise for around 20 mins at a time in order to properly calm my system.  Impractical in some situations of course, but during the night if palpitations & panic strike, there is more opportunity to really concentrate on the exercise & see it through.