Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Progesterone & oestrogen  (Read 962 times)

KarineT

Progesterone & oestrogen
« on: November 20, 2020, 07:39:01 AM »

Hi Everyone,

We a always say low oestrogen is the culprit of our menopause symptoms but what about progesterone? Is it only there to protect the lining of the womb so that it doesn't get too thick?  How important is progesterone other than that?

Karine

Hurdity

Re: Progesterone & oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »

Generally it isn't (thought to be). We only produce progesterone in very large quantities after ovulation because it is a crucial hormone of pregnancy (hence its name).  It is only needed in large quantities for pregnancy. At other times it is produced in very small quantities and continues to be produced post-menopausally as part of our metabolic (steroid) pathways. As I understand it these small quantities are sufficient once we are no longer fertile.

A few women during peri-menopause feel better when they take progesterone when oestrogen is surging, but I gather from what l've read that this is a very small minority. Also I think its use at this time is more when taken in pharmaceutical quantities ie a bit like a drug rather than at the quantities produced in the ovary. Some women find it calming but most find it far too sedating - depressing, foggy-head inducing etc

There is a huge industry based on the premise that declne in progesterone is the leading cause of menopausal symptoms - the theory of oestrogen dominance but this is flawed and was designed to sell progesterone cream and is not borne out by scientific trial data!

Hurdity x

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 03:45:52 PM »

Thanks hurdity for the clarification.  If I decide to go on HRT I'd much rather prefer an alternative to Utrogestan. 

Paz23

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »

Lots of women (including myself) have a Mirena coil fitted for the progesterone part of HRT. It releases small amounts of progesterone into the uterus giving it the protection with large amounts of hormone entering the general bloodstream and so minimising side effects.
It does tend to stop periods, which I personally think it great as I can do without those, but some women feel like they need a bleed as it feels more ‘normal’ to them.