Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: utrogestan conti, changed to vaginal delivery - hot flushes returned  (Read 1059 times)

Gnatty

Good morning all, Following a video call with Newson Health, I was advised to swap oral utrogestan to vaginal 100mg on a continual basis. This was because I suffer with very heavy frequent periods (I am 54) and I have a fibroid which doesn't cause any other trouble but generally a continuous delivery of utrogestan is recommended to keep the oestrogen 'balanced'.

The good news is that yes I only had a very light period and it came five weeks after the last instead of quite often 3 weeks. However I have noticed the occasional hot flush returning and I feel only half awake which didn't happen when I took it orally. My own thoughts are that I should increase my oestrogel from two pumps up to 3 because maybe now I have an imbalance in the other direction if you see what I mean! Does anyone agree?

Another positive from taking vaginally is that the oral route must have been giving me indigestion as this has now completely disappeared!

Gnatty

Re: utrogestan conti, changed to vaginal delivery - hot flushes returned
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 02:14:26 PM »

Or - would it be better instead to take the utrogestan vaginally on alternate days??

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 05:22:17 PM »

As you have heavy bleeds I would be reluctant to reduce utrogeston from the manufacturer's recommended dose. Your symptoms would indicate you need more oestrogen. The only problem is the fibroid. Don't know much about them but I think they can sometimes grow with oestrogen?

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 05:37:38 PM »

Thank you Sheila, waiting for the day when I am post menopausal. As I understand oestogen only rarely causes fibroids to grow and if so usually in first six months of HRT. I have already been taking for five months and so far not noticed anything. I am thinking I must be absorbing more utrogestan with this method of delivery so won't hurt to try another pump. Who knows, trial and error again I think.