Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: progesterone intolerance  (Read 2697 times)

zen

progesterone intolerance
« on: October 10, 2020, 06:12:04 PM »

Hi After coming off HRT (Proff Studds regime) and having a hysteroscopy my menopausal symptoms were really bad so I decided to go back on HRT.  My GP was not happy with me taking so little progesterone on the old regime so I am now on Evorel 50  and 5mg of provera every day.  I am now on day 7 and I can't seem to tolerate the provera at all. The longer I take the provera the more anxious I am becoming.  I feel incredibly anxious as well as feeling extra low.

I've had ten years of feeling awful especially moodwise.  I am at a bit of loss as to what to do as I can't seem to tolerate progesterone.  Has anyone else had a bad experience with provera?

I know there are no simple answers unfortunately!

Perinowpost

Re: progesterone intolerance
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 06:42:41 PM »

Hi Zen I wasn’t able to tolerate provera. What else have you tried?x

Flan747

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 05:40:53 AM »

Have you thought about the Mirena coil that is very low dose progesterone! Worth a try!

zen

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 05:51:22 PM »

Hi Thanks very much for your replies.

I have tired utrogestan, cyclogest and everol conti all of which disagreed with me.

I won't be going near provera again after spending the day in tears.  I think I might have to resort to the mirena coil.  Does anyone else feel agitated all the time -it's been the bain of my life since the menopause. :(  Although an underavtive thyroid maybe doesn't help.

zen x

Flan747

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 06:19:52 PM »

I didn’t tolerate Utrogestron or the progesterone part it Femostan but have had no changes to mood/ anxiety since having it fitted! Just trying to get the estrogen part right now  :) good luck 

Flan747

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 06:20:33 AM »

Just wanted to update on the Mirena coil! I have now had it in for over 4 weeks and have to say it has been great. I used to feel awful on the progesterone part of HRT. My mood does not decline anymore and generally feel better for it. Still need to sort the estrogen part out but just wanted to let those know that have been thinking about having the coil.

Scottydogs

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 03:57:00 PM »

Zen - thanks for the update. Your post is v similar to my experience. Prof Studd had me on Norethisterone 7 days a month which I had no problem with. New regime to protect slightly thicker womb lining is with Dr Newson - I was on Utrogestan every other day but was just awful - low and bleeding all the time. Was offered Mirena but my womb is wonky and dr couldn’t fit it! Might try again because I’m presently on Everol Conti and still a bit low. 

Grheliz1

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 06:38:44 PM »

I've just been told I need to have a Mirena as Utrogestan doesn't stop my bleeding and polyps (I'm on continuous HRT). I'm relieved to hear good stories!

Utrogestan worked well for me in other ways: I take it vaginally and it helps me sleep, so I'm a bit sorry that I have to switch.

Gnatty

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 07:35:44 PM »

That's interesting Grheliz1. I just posted about continuous utrogestan. It seems to have reduced my bleeding somewhat but is making me sleepy in the day and the odd hot flush is happening. Could I ask how many pumps of oestrogel you take? I am thinking of upping mine.

Shannonplussed

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 08:57:59 PM »

Birdy, she had a hysteroscopy not a hysterectomy  ;)

Another happy Mirena user here. I can relate to that feeling of being agitated all the time. I feel so much better since getting another Mirena in late September. The first week I still felt agitated, while it was settling. Now I generally feel much more chill. When I do feel a little off, I can now chalk it up to estrogen fluctuations or just hey, everyone has a bad day. It’s SO NICE to have one constant in menopause; one less thing I can tinker with. Set it and forget it  ;D

Grheliz1

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 02:38:57 PM »

That's interesting Grheliz1. I just posted about continuous utrogestan. It seems to have reduced my bleeding somewhat but is making me sleepy in the day and the odd hot flush is happening. Could I ask how many pumps of oestrogel you take? I am thinking of upping mine.

I reduced from three to 2.5 and then 2, to see if it would help stop the bleeding (really periods, that's what they feel like). But it didn't.

Once I've had the Mirena inserted I intend going back up to 2.5-3 again. I don't have flushes on 2 but don't feel quite as on the ball as I would like. 

Gnatty

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 04:17:55 PM »

Yes that feeling of not quite being on the ball, I know it well! So I might try going up to 3 pumps - worth a try. I suppose there is always testosterone to think about as plan B.