Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help! Complicated case  (Read 1339 times)

Kernol23

• First Flush
Help! Complicated case
« on: November 14, 2020, 08:03:53 PM »

Hi there, I am 45 and perimenopausal but my case is a bit complex as I am having a very difficult withdrawal from both an SSRI and diazepam - both of which I am still tapering.

My hormones are definitely making things worse and I have so many symptoms but I only feel good on days 18-24 of my cycle mentally and physically - the rest of the time I suffer from extreme anxiety, depression, nausea, extreme hair loss, fatigue etc

My cycles are now 25 or 26 days instead of 28 and the depression during and after my period through the follicular phase is very bad where I feel desperate from days 4-12.

I had my hormones tested and estrogen was within range but my testosterone is high which may be why I have such bad hair loss.

My question is why does hairloss only stop on day 18-19 of my cycle and why do I feel awful in the follicular phase except for those days when I would I am guessing be at my peak progesterone level? Ie 7 days before my period?

Everyone else seems to be the other way around.

I Would like to try HRT but it seems to me that I don’t actually need more estrogen but more progesterone as that is the only time I feel better??? I am so confused. I know I need to do something as I feel so ill but I’m worried adding more estrogen if I already have too much and am estrogen dominant will make things worse

sheila99

Re: Help! Complicated case
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 08:37:51 PM »

I'm out of my depth here but wondered if a mirena might help. Because it's designed as a contraceptive it gives you a higher dose of progesterone than you actually need for hrt and it's a constant supply. With oestrogen for the meno symptoms of course. Good luck, it can be difficult finding a regime that suits you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 08:43:57 PM »

:welcomemm:

Why were you prescribed ADs and 'valium' initially?  How man years ago?  Tapering off is the way to go when necessary, it can be unpleasant - with support from your GP you should get through, the thing is not to rush. Once I realised that whilst tapering from an AD that the bounce back feelings didn't become worse after 24 hours, I managed although it took 9 weeks.

Periods wax and wane ........... but the hormonal alterations can be awful.

Kernol23

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 10:46:05 AM »

Thank you everyone for your replies  :)

I suppose my main concern with mirena is that it is a progestin which I don’t think has the same affects on the brain as your own progesterone so I am not sure it would help provide the calming/mood lifting I get days 18-24  and my other worry is if I turn off the production of my own progesterone completely then I might just get all hellish days;( I suppose what I’m asking is there something that is like my own progesterone that can supplement My own rather than shut mine off that might help in my slightly unique circumstances? I just need to try and make this tolerable so that I can continue my tapering but right now it’s not possible because my hormones are affecting everything so much

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 11:11:15 AM »

Morning.  MayB put 'mirena coil' into the search box on the forum to see what pops up?  Make notes ;-)

KBallinger

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »

The Mirena works for a lot of people but it is advised to use with caution in women with a history of depression. It can have a depressing affect in women who have never had depression.  I was one of them. X

Kernol23

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »

Thank yes that’s why I think it probably isn’t an option for me. Does anyone have any other alternatives I could try that would be closest to my own progesterone? I am also hoping boosting my progesterone might help with the hairloss which is immense the last couple of months. Only slows down on peak progesterone days! The main thing is to try and even out my mental symptoms though which are exacerbating my drug withdrawals so much. It’s just so strange that I feel worst in the first half of my cycle and generally a bit better in the second half...

I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this or just me?! Maybe it is to do with my withdrawal situation I don’t know

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 02:39:38 PM »

Did U do a 'search' ?

Kernol23

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 03:08:41 PM »

Did U do a 'search' ?

Hi CLKD yes I did and it didn’t seem very positive in terms of mood issues unfortunately. A lot of people mentioning Anxiety/depression. I would be very uncomfortable I think with something being fitted rather then a tablet that I could just stop? If that makes sense.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 03:11:39 PM »

It does make sense .  Some don't have problems and it can be removed if problematic.  Let us know how you get on?