Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reflux  (Read 2900 times)

Jane50

Reflux
« on: November 14, 2020, 07:17:07 PM »

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding heartburn and reflux. Is it ok to take Gaviscon regularly? Has anyone consulted GP re reflux and been advised it's ok to take it on an ongoing basis? Don't want to have needless investigations when I'm pretty sure it's hormonal.

X

CherrySG

Re: Reflux
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's OK to take Gaviscon every day.

Slippery Elm capsules are also really good for reflux and harmless as far as I know.

I'm trying to get off PPIs and I've taken both for years!

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 07:52:21 PM »

I've taken Gaviscon Advance for a few years and it is on my repeat prescriptions. You can take it up to four times a day, although now I usually only need it before bed. Ask the pharmacist for Gaviscon Advance in preference to the one off the shelf.
JP x

Jane50

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »

Thank you so much. Will try the Advance .

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 08:47:37 PM »

I managed with 'Rennies' or 'milk of magnesia' for years, then developed an irritating clearing-throat cough .......... so GP gave me omeprazalol.  Which helps, 1 capsule at night and occasionally a 2nd mid-day if the cough is a nuisance.

Warning: 'gaviscon' is like drinking wall paper paste  ;D  :-X

Jane50

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 08:54:54 PM »

Thanks all  :)

I actually quite like the aniseed gaviscon. Blame that on my hormones too...!

Have had Rennies before bed for a few months now but feel the gaviscon helps more.  Will ask to have it added to my ever growing list of hormonally related prescription things...will need a trolley to pick them up from the chemist soon!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 09:54:33 PM »

'gaviscon' layers the gullet I think to ease any possible burning from acid reflux. 

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 04:42:27 PM »

Hi, my ENT consultant prescribed Omeprazole and Gaviscon advance for reflux and voice loss issues...but when I got my prescription from GP they has changed it to Peptac, which I have been told is the same???

Obviously at a lower cost to the NHS than Gaviscon advance so will just buy my own >:(

Jane50

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 05:11:06 PM »

Thanks for all the help everyone!  :)

bluebird68

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 09:53:39 PM »

Gaviscon advance is the best, and I was advised by ENT to take 3 to 4 times a day after meals.its expensive so if you can get  gp to prescribe a big.bottle that will.save money if u pay.  PPIs also to get symptobs under control and prove its reflux. Hope things settle soon.

Jane50

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 10:22:49 PM »

Thanks bluebird68,

GP confirmed that he won't prescribe Gaviscon Advance as it's an over the counter medicine so will have to ask for some for Christmas I think!

Wragmop

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 08:48:38 AM »

So reflux is a meno thing too?? Newly diagnosed with it at 47. Never made the connection.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding heartburn and reflux. Is it ok to take Gaviscon regularly? Has anyone consulted GP re reflux and been advised it's ok to take it on an ongoing basis? Don't want to have needless investigations when I'm pretty sure it's hormonal.

X

Have you had any investigations as to why you have reflux? I just wondered what the GP has said about ongoing treatment. 

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »

It lasts for ages Jane  ;D especially if you don't like it  :-X  :D

I am using omeprazolol with some success. 

NicolaJ

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 01:23:21 PM »

I’ve been using chai and licorice tea from Holland and Barrett. This coats the gut lining. You have to be careful and not have too many in a day, read the guidance carefully. I leave the bag in for three minutes to brew then discard as the after taste was too much. I also add a little honey or sugar. It has helped my heartburn and reflux enormously
Pages: [1] 2