Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Bioidentical custom compounded hormone therapy  (Read 794 times)

Lyncola

Bioidentical custom compounded hormone therapy
« on: November 13, 2020, 08:49:15 AM »

Hello Ladies,

I was talking to a lady I know that’s a midwife and she recommended bioidentical custom compound hormone therapy to me. She is 70 years old and said she will be using it for the rest of her life, she swears by it. She given me a name of a local doctor who takes your blood and they work out what you need and basically it’s a custom HRT.

I google and the Australian Menopausal Society do not recommend it. Just wondering if anyone used it and your feedback.

Thanks Lyncola

Mary G

Re: Bioidentical custom compounded hormone therapy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 02:11:09 PM »

Lyncola, compounded progesterone has been absolutely brilliant for me.

I have not used combined compounded HRT so I can't comment on that.

I'm also on HRT for life and after many years of suffering with the dreaded Utrogestan and bleeds, I have finally found a form of progesterone that I can take every day which protects the endometrium without horrible side effects.  I tried other types of conventional progesterone including the Mirena coil but they all caused side effects and migraines in my case.

The NHS do not recommend BHRT either but frankly I don't care because for me it's either compounded progesterone or a hysterectomy.  The clinic I attend will not prescribe compounded hormones without rigorous health checks and a transvaginal uterine scan so safety is not an issue.

I use conventional, branded oestrogen and testosterone products alongside 50mg compounded progesterone every day and it's been working well for over two years now.

It's definitely worth considering.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 02:30:36 PM »

If you use conventional hrt you know it's been through the normal safety trials and quality control, what it says is always what you get. If you get compounded you're relying on that doctor to put in it what he says. There's no doubt it has a place for the minority of women who can't find conventional hrt to suit them. From a safety point of view I would try to find a conventional hrt first. If you go for compounded make sure it's from a source you can trust.

Lyncola

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 09:31:40 AM »

Thanks ladies,

sheila99 your spot on with the reason Australian Menopausal Society doesn’t agree with it.

Mary G I’m happy that it’s works for you.

Avalon your spot on another reason Australian Menopausal Society agree with it. And why is it already warm tonight, I’m not looking forward to summer and the dam humidity. Makes menopause just that little bit harder.

Lyncola

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 09:24:55 AM »

I'm already running the AC, I’m to hormonal to be hot ;D, I went for a walk this morning and was dripping with sweat when I got home. It was 92% humidity this morning  :o

And it’s not even summer yet :-\

Brit66

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 09:45:21 AM »

Hello Ladies,

I was talking to a lady I know that’s a midwife and she recommended bioidentical custom compound hormone therapy to me. She is 70 years old and said she will be using it for the rest of her life, she swears by it. She given me a name of a local doctor who takes your blood and they work out what you need and basically it’s a custom HRT.

I google and the Australian Menopausal Society do not recommend it. Just wondering if anyone used it and your feedback.

Thanks Lyncola

The UK doesn't recommend bioidentical compounded hrt either as there's no guarantee of quality or reliability,  so in other words you don't really know how much of anything you're getting and what the quality of the ingredients are because this industry is not regulated. I did try it myself, falsely believing that it was safer than traditional hrt  but just ended up spending a lot of money unnecessarily.
You can get bioidentical hrt from your primary dr/GP, and it has a proven track record, so I believe it is safer and more reliable.  Did the midwife explain the facts to you? I would hope so, as she's a Healthcare professional. 
However it's your menopause and your choice.  Good luck with the decision you make!