Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Why do all vaginal moisturizers cause me to burn? Help!  (Read 1730 times)

Tootsey11

Why do all vaginal moisturizers cause me to burn? Help!
« on: November 10, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »

Just that really, I've tried Yes, Sylk, Replens. Why do they all cause burning and redness. My bits are on fire after applying yes earlier.

Also, none of them keep inside or outside moist. They all dry up within minutes of applying.

Can anyone recommend anything, I've been looking at organic aloe Vera, not sure what else to try.

Tootsey11

Re: Why do all vaginal moisturizers cause me to burn? Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 08:12:05 PM »

I am on Vagifem and Ovestin for nearly 8 months. I'm that sore nothing is helping.

CherrySG

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:25:52 PM »

Olive and Bee is soothing and oil-based. Some of the others are stingy, Replens is stingy as it says it 'gets rid of dead cells' on the leaflet IIRC. Yes was useless to me but others find it brilliant.

I prefer oil-based treatments to the more silicone-type effect however Sylk helps a bit. If you are sore maybe oil-based treatments might help but vaginal oestrogen is really necessary also.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:45:08 PM »

Stop everything except the VA treatment.  Ease yourself into a tub of tepid water with nothing added and rest for a while.  Shake then pat dry.  How often are you using the VA treatment? 

Tootsey11

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:59:59 PM »

Vagifem every other night and a little Ovestin on the outside bits to help cool.

I think I am going crazy with this, nothing is helping, nothing. What does it take to get some relief.

I am very very dry on the outside, inside seems ok. Everything is quite enflamed on the outside and raw. Everyone raves about yes so I bought some and my skin went mental after a few uses. Every product dries and disappears in about 30 minutes, I may as well not have put anything on.

Does anyone know what will help this, has anyone been the same.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 09:51:21 PM »

How long have you been using Vagifem?  I have to use it every night and i don't get on with moisturisers either even though my bits are in good condition now!

Tootsey11

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 10:12:31 PM »

April,  I was using it 7 nights a week from April but it has done nothing.  I cut it down 2 weeks ago to every other night as someone here suggested maybe I was using it too much.

Maybe the Ovestin would work better for me inside than the vagifem. The outside needs something though everything is squashed flat and sticks together.

I am so so fedup with this.

Catcc

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 09:27:19 AM »

Hi

I had the same problem with moisturisers last year.  Spent a fortune .... and everything ended up in the bin.  Had allergic reaction to Replens (which doctor had prescribed).  And everything else stung.  Eventually found out I'm allergic to propolis (in V Magic), sodium benzoate (used in a lot of products) and various other "natural" ingredients/preservatives.  Things that most other people are ok with.  After a year of discomfort I stopped everything, except the vagifem.  I wash with just warm water in the shower and occasionally use Aveeno  lotion (which a private vulval dermatologist recommended) to wash with and to use to moisturise vulva - there are different types of Aveeno. the dermatologist recommended the one that says on its label "suitable for babies prone to eczema".   This all seems to be working. 

I was tempted to try estriol/ovestin on outside but was concerned might react to them too so in the end so I didn't.  Dermatologist said creams more likely to irritate as they contain more ingredients. 

Hope you get it sorted.  It's no fun
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:48:01 AM by Catcc »

Catcc

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 09:39:10 AM »

PS I was so fed up with it all last year I even started to blame the vagifem.  So I stopped it.  I stopped everything.  But then I realised I needed something so restarted vagifem, but nothing else.  I was really strict with myself as there were so many times I was tempted to try things on the outside.  But I didn't.  It took me ages to even use the Aveeno and still don't use it very often.  The vagifem alone has been great so far. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:43:26 AM by Catcc »

Tootsey11

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »

Thankyou for the reply.

I find this whole thing so difficult, I've been following recommendations on here in the hope that works for someone else will work for me.

Last night, no vagifem, just Ovestin on the outside. Today feeling slightly improved. Haven't put anything on today.

So now do I try Ovestin on the inside. Maybe I've been putting that much on, my bits are screaming at me to stop.

I was prescribed both vagifem and the Ovestin at the same time, on the same script. It's difficult to know which is giving me problems.

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 02:28:58 PM »

I was like this. I kept having 'infections' that were either BV, thrush, both or neither but I was left with problems of feeling sore and wet intermittently. 

I used to use Multigyn Actigel which is supposed to balance pH and help microflora - stings to start with when you are sore - I started to use with the thrush tablets.  I also use Dermol for washing and moisturising all that outside area.  I once had to wash thrush cream off pretty sharpish as it burned (which is how I found the Dermol was better).

I started vagifem after another inconclusive swab test. The vagifem helped enormously and I didn't have any more antibiotic or thrush med, but I could never manage with less than one every other day.
It improved after starting on hrt, then adding the vagifem back.

I have had it under control for some years, but ironically it has been bothering me this week  ::)