Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Struggling with Face Masks  (Read 5135 times)

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Struggling with Face Masks
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 09:55:32 PM »

I don't mind wearing a mask, but the elastic that goes behind your ear, absolutely pains the hell out of it. 😡😂

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 08:20:11 AM »

My ears don't seem to be big enough to hold the string  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 09:07:56 AM »

That would be a brown paper bag .............  ;D

Or one with C.mas decorations on it  :whist:

Dorothy

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »

I promised I'd check back in to give an update on what my GP said.

First of all, she was really reassuring and kind about the whole thing - I had wondered if she'd brush it all off as a waste of time, but she didn't, which was a great relief.

She asked about my symptoms (chest pain and nausea) and if I experienced any anxiety or panic feelings when I tried a mask (I don't).  She advised that breathing exercises & calming exercises can be useful when anxiety is experienced, but in my case, she didn't think it would be helpful.  She suggested I try one of those cycling bandana/snood things, which fit tightly over the nose but are loose at the bottom - I had thought they wouldn't be good enough, but she said it was fine if I was struggling with the proper 3-ply masks.  She also sent me a link to an exemption card to print out and advised me to carry that on a lanyard if the bandana thing doesn't work.  She  said that it would be good to have the card anyway, so that if I'm challenged for not wearing a 'proper' mask, I can produce it and explain that this is the best I can do.

Her final advice was that while it's important to wear a face covering if at all possible, when it causes extreme physical or mental distress, it's better to wear what you can and live as normal a life as possible than to cut yourself off completely, due to the mental health issues that total isolation can cause.

I've ordered a 'cycling gaiter' (that was what those things were described as) which should arrive by the weekend, so I'll see how I get on with it.  Really hoping it will work, but if not, I feel a bit more comfortable using the exemption card now it's been recommended by my GP.

Definitely need to get something that works...we ran out of milk this week and I had to wait for my OH to bring some home from work.  A day without a cuppa?  Now that IS an emergency

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 08:40:32 PM »

Well done and tnx for the update, probably the GP had spoken to several about this issue.

Snoods can be used in different ways apparently .........

Sparrow

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 08:41:35 PM »

That is good news Dorothy.

When this is all over I am going to have a ritual burning of my masks, in the garden.  :bbq:

Dorothy

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »

When this is all over I am going to have a ritual burning of my masks, in the garden.  :bbq:

That's the bonus about being able to use the snood/gaiter thing - it can have a life post-Covid!   

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »

I struggle with masks and moving, because of breathing problems due to asthma, plus I wear glasses, which steam up. I had to wear a mask when I was able to see my parents. I don’t go to shops as I’m ‘vulnerable ‘. My daughter suggested a face shield instead, so I’ll try that next time I have to go out. I don’t look vulnerable by the way!

Sparrow

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 08:45:23 AM »

My son was in Sainsburys yesterday.  A very elderly lady and her daughter were shopping and he overheard their conversation.

The elderly lady said 'I've had enough, I am not wearing this anymore.  It's hard enough being old without having to put up with this'.  By then she had torn off her mask, and dispite her daughters protests, refused to put it on again.

I found the following article on the use of masks.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/do-masks-stop-the-spread-of-covid-19-/amp?__twitter_impression=true

holidaylover

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 10:43:52 AM »

Great news Dorothy.  I did get a gaitor to try (only time I have been in a position where I NEED one is at the hairdresser) but mines just kept slipping down so involved a lot of fiddling which defeats the purpose.  I thought it might have been easier for the hairdresser when cutting round the ear area, but when I tried to talk the material kept going into my mouth and as I tend to breath through my mouth I felt like I was being suffocated!  (And I looked akin to a glove puppet!) The hairdressers is now not the enjoyable experience it used to be, a relaxed hour or so with a coffee, some magazines and just some chill time.  Now it's in and out in 10 mins, I'm now colouring at home go into salon with it wet and have a quick cut.  Shadyglade, that's an interesting article on the success of facemasks, which I hope is true!  Maybe there will come a time shortly when we can all have a 'burn the bra' moment with our masks! More importantly I think we all need to get back to the two metre rule which seems to more and more be getting forgotten about.

Ju Ju

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 04:12:03 PM »

Interesting article. I’ve read that some masks are a waste of time, as they provide minimal protection, while others do. There hasn’t been enough studies on whether different masks provide protection.

Katejo

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 06:35:55 PM »

You have reminded me of a recent chat with a member of my usual dance class on masks. We had similar ones on at the time. She started talking about giving friends face masks for Christmas ! I said nothing but was horrified at the idea.  ;D

Sparrow

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 07:01:45 PM »

You have reminded me of a recent chat with a member of my usual dance class on masks. We had similar ones on at the time. She started talking about giving friends face masks for Christmas ! I said nothing but was horrified at the idea.  ;D

Oh my gosh.  What a horrible idea.

Okay if it's someone you don't like I suppose.  :D

Dorothy

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 08:53:58 PM »

Great news Dorothy.  I did get a gaitor to try (only time I have been in a position where I NEED one is at the hairdresser) but mines just kept slipping down so involved a lot of fiddling which defeats the purpose. 

I wear glasses, so I'm hoping they'll keep the gaitor up!  Although it's really just going to be for short periods - I'm not planning on doing any long shopping trips, I just want to have an option for emergencies, like using a loo or popping in for milk! 

We've just booked a visit to one of our local NT gardens for Saturday - I haven't been out anywhere for 2 months because I've been too worried about needing the loo while I'm out.  My OH pointed out that I hardly ever need the loo when we go for a walk round this garden, but it's the knowing that I can't go if I want to that makes me want to go!  Does anyone else find that?  I can be fine for hours without needing a loo, but as soon as I know I won't have access to one for a while, I feel the urge to wee!  So now I have my gaiter, I'll probably be quite happy to wander around and come home again without actually needing to use it once!

dahliagirl

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 09:35:22 PM »

I made a beautiful one with a thin wire that goes all the way across the top (it was some interesting covered electrical wire that I found in the garage - I think it is something to do with cars - don't tell OH  ::) )

It is fitted, and with this wire it is as close as you can get round the top of the nose, but my glasses still steam up  >:(  It is worse now it is getting cold.  If you breathe out, it has to go somewhere and it can't possibly pass through the mask fast enough.

I am going to make one that is only one layer instead of the 2/3.  It won't look any different and I may even be able to breathe normally through it.  Masks prevent you passing it on and I am very unlikely to pass it on as I am becoming agoraphobic so have no chance of picking it up anyway  :-X
Pages: 1 [2] 3