Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Is this neck pain due to perimenopausal anxiety?  (Read 1878 times)

Lalb1

Is this neck pain due to perimenopausal anxiety?
« on: November 07, 2020, 12:07:06 AM »

Having a pretty rubbish time at the minute. Since coming off the HRT and BC due to high blood pressure causing a bleed behind my eye, which caused partial sight loss. I've also become ill with something like flu. It's not covid, had a test and all clear. Looking on here it seems could be period/ovulation flu. Feel yucky but bit brighter than have for the last week.Have had body aches, high temp, sleeping for ever, loss of appetite, shakes, confusion, sore chest and dodgy stomach.
The high temp, confusion and sore chest have gone now, still sleeping more but not loads, appetite slowly returning.

But these last 3 days my neck has been achy, I'm wondering if its due to the anxiety I'm feeling about my sight loss and worrying about that. I'm also resting lots, mainly on sofa laid watching tv.
Painkillers ease it slightly but it feels tight and achy a faor bit of the day.
Does anyone else suffer from pain in the neck which on 1 side is worse than the other and goes into collar bone sometimes? Is this due to anxiety and hormonal fluctuations? My body seems to be dipping from the withdrawal of HRT and BC.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is this neck pain due to perimenopausal anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 08:44:29 AM »

The high body temperature could be ovulation?  It could also be a urine infection if you are really confused.

However if you have a loss of appetite you may well have the shakes due to a drop in blood sugar levels.  I find that eating little and often - ginger biscuits, dried fruits and nuts, bananas and starting the day with a good muesli helps a lot.  Even cream crackers dry line the gut and will help.

Lack of oestrogen can cause aches and pains as muscles may become lax, particularly hiatus hernia and frozen shoulder.  Swimming can help as will over the counter pain relief.

Maybe have a look on-line or contact a physio to get some exercises to practice?

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »

Look up the McKenzie neck treatment/exercises on YouTube,those exercises saved me from surgery. If you're tense with anxiety the neck muscles can press on nerves and cause all sorts of issues. If in doubt though check with your GP

Lalb1

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 10:32:05 AM »

I'm thinking the temp was ovulation changes in temp. The confusion was more like denser brain fog if that makes sense? That inky lasted about 12 hours and went away again.
I've made sure I'm trying to eat little and often now I'm feeling a bit brighter.
I've also noticed that more recently my neck has crackled more when I turn it. It has felt right on and off, but my job had been stressful before I went off sick too.
I've also noticed I seem to be sitting a lot and resting which was told to do but I also wonder if because I'm not normally sat my body is reacting to that. I'd usually be busy busy and lots of walks. Haven't done anything properly for 5 weeks now. Not being able to see properly is making it hard to do stuff like lone walks etc.
Going to look up some exercises and see if they help.
Hoping a period shows up soon too so that may help with some of the cramps and yucky feelings.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 03:37:19 PM »

Make sure that your foot wear is correct ;-).  Also how you sit and when did you last change your pillows?  How do you sit when relaxing etc.?

Lalb1

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 08:59:33 PM »

Regarding footwear.. 🤣 I haven't worn shoes in a week. Last time I had footwear on it was my little ankle boots.
I'm seriously thinking a lot of it is the length of time I'm spending sitting on the sofa. It's been hours over the last 3 weeks, simply due to been told to rest, not been able to do much out on own and not been able to focus for long on stuff due to disorientation from sight issues. Thinking about pillows, it's been a while. Will look at new ones. Definitely think it's my posture and a mix of hormone issues causing problems, came off the HRT and birth control 3 weeks ago now and getti G every single period symptom, every menopause pain but nothing showing up.
Thanks for replying. 😁

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 09:17:11 PM »

If you're looking at a phone or laptop while you're sitting your head might be tipped forwards which can cause neck pain. We're at an age when bad posture caches up with us.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »

Try a cushion under the laptop?  Bring it to eye level?

Anxiety can cause all muscles to tense = aches and pains.

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »

Oh yes sheila (hello btw ) that's what would always set my neck off,the head tipped forward, I used to draw a lot but eventually had to get an easel rather than the table