Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Surgical menopause- no symptoms.  (Read 1004 times)

Stephaniep

• First Flush
Surgical menopause- no symptoms.
« on: November 03, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »

Hello, I’m new on here. 😊
I had a full hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and was advised by my Dr I’d go on to HRT immediately as I would go through a surgical menopause and apparently symptoms can start as soon as a few hours after surgery.
4 weeks down the line I have no symptoms. I’d like to believe I’m one of the lucky 25% that don’t get symptoms but what should I do?
I dont want to start on HRT if I have no symptoms. Will it do me any harm if I don’t? I’m 49. Should I take herbal supplements?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Surgical menopause- no symptoms.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 11:51:06 AM »

Morning!  :welcomemm:  Was this the Consultant or GP with the advice and were you talked through what you might require?

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  Do read our threads on bladder issues and vaginal atrophy - both can be problematic and unrelated to hysterectomy etc.; caused by a drop in oestrogen levels the body may become dry: inside and out as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Browse round.  Make notes ;-). Ask away ........

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 01:54:32 PM »

It's advisable to take oestrogen to protect your heart and bones at least until you're 'normal' menopause age (I think 52 but not certain). Herbal supplements might or might not help symptoms but won't replace the oestrogen you would have produced yourself. I think your doctor has given you good advice.

Kelrob12

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »

I had ovaries removed at 39 and GP said I need estrogen till natural menopause age to protect bones etc. She never really even discussed not having it tbh. She tried to reassure me that all the literature for the increased cancer risk weren't related to surgical menopause before natural age?
x