Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estradot patches and wind??  (Read 888 times)

Julia Dizzy

Estradot patches and wind??
« on: November 02, 2020, 02:39:12 PM »

Hi,
I have been on 2 pumps gel/100mg oral utrogestan for over a year, still trying to find the right dose :-\. Am sure Utrogestan doesn't suit me either!

I changed to Estradot patches a month ago to see if I absorbed any better after having a break from HRT for 2 months, while I was having some throat/thyroid investigations.

I was given 25mg patches by my GP (said had to have lowest dose first) which didn't seem to do much, as I know that is only equivalent to 1 pump gel, so have stuck 2 patches on together for the last couple of weeks.

They seem to be helping my hot flushes but they have not completely gone yet (am age 64 and that is why went on HRT a year ago because of them lasting forever..) My anxiety is still through the roof and has never improved with HRT.

But, I am having bad stomach aches and discomfort in upper and lower abdomen, lots of wind gurgling round my stomach and spasms in my sides etc and breaking wind. I am awaiting a gastroscopy appointment (eeeek not looking forward to that :'() due to reflux damaging my vocal chords and am on omeprazole for that.

Could it be the patches or is it just coincidence? When I first started the gel a year ago I got strange fluctuations in my lower right abdomen, gynae said it was the oestrogen affecting my bowels and wasn't concerned at the time.

I am due to run out of the patches this week and am wondering whether to go back to the gel, as my GP would only give me one lot of patches to try initially after contacting meno clinic for the ok.

I am hoping to try FemSeven conti patches as a last resort HRT when they are released next month, but will still have to contact meno clinic Dr to send a letter to my GP so I can try them, as GP won't change anything without his say so! So annoying.

Any advice/comments would be much appreciated!

Hurdity

Re: Estradot patches and wind??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 09:28:27 AM »

Hi Julia Dizzy - your post got missed.

I can't really comment  but I have recently had digestive problems being treated with omeprazole but I've been on the same hRT for years! I would suggest since it is transdermal HRT and you have been taking oestrogen in some form for over a year - that it could be coincidence ie the digestive/wind problems...

You should continue with whichever HRT gives you best relief from your symptoms and with the fewest negative sdie effects.

Are you still taking utrogestan orally? This could potentially cause or exacerbate digestive problems but if you are taking it continuously maye not want to go down the vaginal route?

How annoying for your GP not to change anything without the consultant agreeing!

Hurdity x

Julia Dizzy

Re: Estradot patches and wind??
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 01:55:32 PM »

Hi Hurdity,,
Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear you are having the same issues too, so yes, I think it may just be coincidence? Its not very nice is it, very restricting. Still awaiting gastroscopy appointment (euwwww :'()

I have spoken to my GP this morning and she has agreed to give me Estradot 50 along with the Utrogestan until the FemSeven are back.
She also said because meno clinic Dr had put he would have prescribed me FemSeven in his original letter last year, that she wouldn't need his say so to put it on a prescription thankfully!

Yes am still taking the Utro orally on a conti regime, I did try it vaginally but found it a bit slimy, is that normal? Can you just change from oral to vaginal and vice versa as required?

Dr is also going to try me on Fluoxetine for my generalised anxiety and change my 25mg atenolol for propranalol. Have you ever been on those and if so how did you find them? I haven't been diagnosed with high blood pressure, just get white coat syndrome lol, as the atenolol was initially for anxiety many moons ago.

Even though she is a female GP, she seems to still be under the rule that GP's first prescribe SSRI's before HRT which I find a bit archaic, she said HRT has more risks!! I did mention the NICE guidelines about transdermal being better and lower risk etc!   ::)

Roll on the FemSeven, I can't wait to try them and go completely transdermal, just hope they suit me when I do!

Thanks again xx