Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Low dose utrogestan  (Read 4924 times)

honeyblossom

Low dose utrogestan
« on: November 22, 2020, 07:40:36 PM »

Is there a continuous utrogestan regime that’s is low dose in the way Prof studd does?  Does low dose continuos anything exist apart from the dreaded mirena?

Mary G

Re: Low dose utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:52:54 PM »

The low dose Professor Studd regime is 100mg vaginal Utrogestan for 7 days each cycle.   I found this regime to be a life saver years ago but unfortunately I eventually hit the buffers with Utrogestan and could never take it again.  I think this was partly due to getting older and finding the bleeds made me feel ill and I could no longer tolerate the hormonal upheaval of a cyclical HRT regime.   I am now on a continuous combined regime and feel much better for it.

The Newson Clinic recommend 100mg Utrogestan every other day which works well for many women.   This dose equates to roughly the same amount of progesterone that you would take on a conventional cyclical regime but without all the hormonal instability involved with complete progesterone withdrawal and bleeding.

pricey

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 06:34:37 AM »

Hello, silly question maybe, but is this with or without oestrogen? I've always been low in progesterone. My uterine scan showed a suspected cervical polyp after 12 weeks of bleeding. After a course of norethisterone that made me feel rotten, I had a really heavy bleed and then (hurray) went over a month before having what has felt like a proper period (preceded by low mood and sore breasts). This has been light but I'm now on day 10. I have not been on HRT for 4 months now. My hysteroscopy date is February and my GP wants to hold off giving me more HRT until then. I have lots of utrogestan left. Would there be merit in taking a course of this as a trial if this bleeding drags on?

Thanks for your help.

X

Babibell

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 10:13:31 PM »

Hi hope someone can advise. I’m peri but been on hrt 3 years. Due to anxiety upped my estrogel to 3.5 pumps and 100mg utrogestan a night. Unfortunately this led to horrific migraines so off my own back I reduced to 2 pumps and 100mg every OTHER night, this has been amazing and migraines now mild and tolerable twice a month. I’m on month 2 of this and today started bleeding! I’m obviously concerned and worried I am not taking enough utrogestan and putting myself in danger. Considering trying 200mg again for 12 days but dreading the migraines again.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 09:02:28 AM »

Is there a continuous utrogestan regime that’s is low dose in the way Prof studd does?  Does low dose continuos anything exist apart from the dreaded mirena?

I'm not sure what you mean because Prof Studd has used a very low dose cyclical progesterone, so not continuous and from what I gather is not favouring the 7 day regime so much due to cases where the womb lining has not been protected - but this is just anecdotal based on responses on this forum. His own research said that 10 days would really be the minimum. Of course if you are a private patient and can afford the very high fees and can be monitored regularly then off-licence regimes are more possible.

The continuous licensed dose for progesterone is daily 100 mg orally. Louise Newson has suggested alternate day utrogestan for those who are intolerant - which is very much also off-licence. This is based on research showing that when used vaginally half the oral utrogestan may give the same protection when used with low to medium doses of oestrogen.

For higher doses of oestrogen then this may well be insufficient but as Birdy says there  has also been some reasearch using utrogestan 2-3 times per week but I can't recall off-hand what the oestrogen dose was. It won;t be high though.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »

Hello, silly question maybe, but is this with or without oestrogen? I've always been low in progesterone. My uterine scan showed a suspected cervical polyp after 12 weeks of bleeding. After a course of norethisterone that made me feel rotten, I had a really heavy bleed and then (hurray) went over a month before having what has felt like a proper period (preceded by low mood and sore breasts). This has been light but I'm now on day 10. I have not been on HRT for 4 months now. My hysteroscopy date is February and my GP wants to hold off giving me more HRT until then. I have lots of utrogestan left. Would there be merit in taking a course of this as a trial if this bleeding drags on?

Thanks for your help.

X

If you are post-menopausal then progesterone on its own can lead to overthinning of the uterus lining and bleeding or spotting.

If you are not yet at menopause then it can possibly help with bleeding if you are producing lots of oestrogen without ovulation - or to regulate an erratic cycle (ie taking during the second half of the cycle), but for many women the side effects are too great to conetemplate this and in addition,  oestrogen deficiency symptoms and the need to alleviate them, tend to override everything!

Hope the bleeding has eased...

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 09:08:16 AM »

Hi hope someone can advise. I’m peri but been on hrt 3 years. Due to anxiety upped my estrogel to 3.5 pumps and 100mg utrogestan a night. Unfortunately this led to horrific migraines so off my own back I reduced to 2 pumps and 100mg every OTHER night, this has been amazing and migraines now mild and tolerable twice a month. I’m on month 2 of this and today started bleeding! I’m obviously concerned and worried I am not taking enough utrogestan and putting myself in danger. Considering trying 200mg again for 12 days but dreading the migraines again.

Hi there - yes the bleeding is most likely due to insufficient progesterone to keep the lining thin. I'm not sure I understand your regime. Are you taking the progesterone continuously or cyclically? Sounds like continuously?

Also are you taking it orally or vaginally? You may find side effects more tolerable if you  go for vaginal use on a cycle. Also depends whereabouts in menopause you are too.

Hurdity x