Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is this perimenopause?  (Read 1776 times)

Sunny99

Is this perimenopause?
« on: November 01, 2020, 06:54:13 PM »

Hey

I have so many random symptoms these days, which I put down to changing hormones but is it? Had my bloods done so many times and nothing shows up. Symptoms include head pressure and strange Ongoing pains, fatigue, body aches, chills, palpitations (Been checked out and all fine and now taking magnesium which I think is helping), neck pain, periods that are still regular but sometimes heavy and prolonged, sometimes short, brain fog, inability to focus, anxiety, up and down moods...I could go on. Anyone else like this? 😩

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is this perimenopause?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »

Hi. as oestrogen levels drop many of your symptoms may happen due to laxity of muscles = aches and pains as well as the body becoming dry.  Inside and out  ::).

My periods waxed and waned for several years.  I developed vaginal atrophy later which has been treated.  So you are not alone!

Sunny99

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 07:10:02 PM »

Thanks CLKD, I sometimes look around when out and think why is it only me who feels so crap 😩. The dry thing has reminded me of another weird thing, at different points across the month I have a weird nasal thing going on, feel like I can’t breathe properly through one side!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »

Hi Sunny99

if your periods are still regular then you are not yet peri-menopausal according to the medical definition. However it's not a sudden thing and as the ovaries start to falter and decline in their function there are changes in some of the hormones controlling the whole process that can lead to some symptoms before this time. In particular some women  experience far worsening pms symptoms in this last stage - known as the "Late Reproductive Stage". As CLKD says you may be experiencing the effects of gradually lowering oestrogen levels which can have these effects, but also some women at this stage find issue with other hormones eg thyroid. Have you been tested for thyroid function and if so do you have a reading of the results ( some women in normal range do experience symptoms of underactive thyroid)?

In the meantime here is an article about peri-menopause you might find helpful:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

At this time in your life also, if you need to, try to focus on making sure you are in the best possible state of health if you can to set you up for the years ahead - through achieving or maintaining a healthy BMI ( losing weight if necessary), taking more exercise, reducing alcohol, eating a good diet with lots of fresh ingredients etc etc

Hurdity x

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 08:23:37 PM »

Sunny99,

I have strange symptoms as that are similar to yours in addition to dizziness.  The only difference is that I haven't a period since January this year.  I'm only hoping that it's the tail end of perimenopause and that the symptoms won't get worse.

Karine

Lalb1

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 09:47:00 PM »

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine. I've been like this for about 4 years and fed up of the random new symptoms that appear weekly nowadays.

Latte21

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 11:26:30 PM »

I get all these symptoms too. Neck and shoulder pain with aching arms and the nasal thing too it’s so weird who would think hormones could affect your nose?  Gets so dry and sore and congested in the morning!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »

Latte21 - drop in oestrogen levels causes the body to become dry: inside and out  :(

Issatt

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »

Hi Ladys, iam new here!
Hope I am posting on the right sight ,

I am having what seems to be perimenopase symptoms.
Periods late as 40 days apart very light bleeds,

weight gain , no energy sleep problems very emotional all the time , depression what i can only describe the feeling as postnatal depression!

Lost all my spark and getup and go 😪chated with my  health professional today whom advised me to join the group,

I was wondering if anyone has taken the gel HRT or can give me some feedback on a HRT that's not caused weight gain also that has been very helpful with there symptoms, 
Thank you 😊 xx

Loubrod

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »

Hiya, been on HRT for about 1 year, tried various different types and I do think they cause slight weight gain. I am currently waiting for a certain patch ( femseven) to be available as I found that I did not suffer with bloating. Currently on femoston conti

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 12:49:04 PM »

welcome !  browse round. Join in.

Keeping a mood/food/diary might help.  Make notes ;-). My periods waxed and waned until they stopped .  It was The Change so I wasn't particularly worried and fortunately didn't have many symptoms which went.  Do read the bladder issues and vaginal atrophy threads.

Cat71

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 08:30:18 PM »

I had all those symptoms right at the beginning of my peri menopause, just before I started missing periods completely. It’s been 6 months since I’ve had a period now, and I still get some of those things plus ridiculous boiling hot flushes, insomnia and occasionally bouts of headaches/migraines. I’m 49 and my peri started about a year ago x

Cat71

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 08:36:12 PM »

Also, I just thought, like CKLD said, your hormone level can start dropping way before peri. I got pregnant with my daughter (second child) -(my son is 26!) when I was 39 and I gave birth to her a week before my 40th birthday! It took me 4 years to fall pregnant with her and so I went for tests. They found that one ovary wasn’t working anymore and the other one was only producing a few very small eggs! She was a miracle! Anyway, I believe that’s when I actually saw the first signs of peri.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 08:45:29 PM »

U were trying then Cat71? My Aunt got caught at menopause ;-)

Cat71

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 11:15:00 PM »

Yes I was trying hon. It took me two years to recover lol. I bounced back with my first born but I was only 23 then! X
Pages: [1] 2