Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to tell if oestrogen is too high  (Read 6741 times)

Jeepers

How to tell if oestrogen is too high
« on: October 29, 2020, 08:57:39 AM »

Hi all

Apart from sore boobs, what other symptoms might indicate that your oestrogen is too high on her?

Thank you

Jeepers xx

Flan747

Re: How to tell if oestrogen is too high
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 06:52:09 AM »

Hi. I am always unsure as to whether I am too high or low! Symptoms appear to be so similar. My main problem now is gut issues and palpitations. I have had a blood test just to see how I’m absorbing and will go from there. I also need to sort my diet out as I’m reading so much about a good diet at the minute which appears to play a massive part in perimenopause symptoms!

Evie606

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 07:10:31 PM »

Hi there,

I’m figuring this one out too just now.
I was on Conti and had constant sore boobs, sweating and anxiety was fairly high. I blamed progesterone, however I’m now on Sequi again and on the oestrogen only patches at the moment and guess what? Sore boobs, feeling hot and anxious.  :o
I’ve decided to cut a 1/4 off my patches and see how I get on.
I’ll follow this post with interest.

Do you have other symptoms apart from the sore boobs?

:)

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 08:16:40 PM »

I’ve always found too much oestrogen = jittery/anxious.  Too much progesterone = low mood/depression.   There is a sweet spot in the middle when everything is balanced, trouble is we need both hormones x

Jeepers

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 10:33:45 PM »

Hi

Thanks for all of your replies. That’s an interesting list Avalon. I’ve been getting a lot of pains in my calves and shins, ranging from a crampy  pain, to a dull gnawing ache.

Lots of muscle and bone aches elsewhere too.oh, and yes, Some palpitations

Hard to tell with the anxiety, as it’s been such a difficult time lately, so anxiety is high anyway

Too much and not enough do seem similar, don’t they?

Jeepers xx

Shannonplussed

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »

It sounds like not enough to me. I find body/joint aches relieved when I increase dose. I’ve had palpitations when low that feel a lot like jitters when high. Definitely tricky!

Jeepers

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 01:42:14 PM »

Yes, that's what I thought, but then I have sore boobs as well. ??

Jeepers xx

Shannonplussed

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »

Boobs sore to the touch, hurts to hug? Or more generally swollen feeling? That’s another one I don’t understand. When I was peri, I had low estrogen symptoms (vaginal dryness & painful sex for a month or so) followed by a few months of huge swollen painful breasts. I assume that was a rebound high estrogen after the low, but maybe it was part of the low as well?

Kelrob12

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 09:35:04 AM »

Hi,

I too wondered this, I would have swore blind I was too high in estrogen - went from 50mg patch to 100mg and I get more anxious, I have more aches and pains in groin (possibly progesterone related tho), Im sure the estrogen increase effects nerves as my internal scar tissue pain increases each time (from an operation). Yet my bloods dont show it - Im only 211 pmol. Im scared to increase due to the pain thing and my GP is worried as I have fibroids too (cause again buy the estrogen!).
/have any of you had bolo levels tested? I had read that sometime w some people can't get rid of excess estrogen and that can cause estrogen side effects? but not sure the ins and outs
x

Shannonplussed

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 01:36:58 PM »

What’s bolo levels?

Kelrob12

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 02:34:20 PM »

What’s bolo levels?

😂 I have no idea! Should have read bloods! sorry
x

Shannonplussed

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »

Ha! Yes I’ve done. In early July, I got a reading of 3126 pmol/L which oddly no one seemed fussed about. I was on 3 pumps of estrogel at the time. I immediately stopped, to try to reset everything. After 6 weeks and being clear what low estrogen feels like for me (headaches, palpitations), I started back on 1/2 pump a day. After getting a Mirena, I slowly worked up to 2 pumps a day. Just last week, I had a reading of 316 pmol/L. Because of the sky-high test in the summer, I washed my arms an hour before the test to rule out testing error. So 316 seems good but some body aches and headaches and stuff remain so just this morning I added back a third pump to see if that helps (I’m 44 and not clear what I should be aiming for, and the dr doesn’t use the readings anyway).

Kelrob12

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 02:07:34 PM »

Ha! Yes I’ve done. In early July, I got a reading of 3126 pmol/L which oddly no one seemed fussed about. I was on 3 pumps of estrogel at the time. I immediately stopped, to try to reset everything. After 6 weeks and being clear what low estrogen feels like for me (headaches, palpitations), I started back on 1/2 pump a day. After getting a Mirena, I slowly worked up to 2 pumps a day. Just last week, I had a reading of 316 pmol/L. Because of the sky-high test in the summer, I washed my arms an hour before the test to rule out testing error. So 316 seems good but some body aches and headaches and stuff remain so just this morning I added back a third pump to see if that helps (I’m 44 and not clear what I should be aiming for, and the dr doesn’t use the readings anyway).

OMg 3000! Wow how did you feel? Ive no idea if how Im feeling is low or high estrogen but could it be high if Im only reading 211 pmol? I can't say I felt worse at 171 but its not much lower. I feel more anxious now - but is it because Ive no progesterone in me! God knows - Im fed up trying to sort it out tbh 😂,
x

Kelrob12

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »

Hi

Thanks for all of your replies. That’s an interesting list Avalon. I’ve been getting a lot of pains in my calves and shins, ranging from a crampy  pain, to a dull gnawing ache.

Lots of muscle and bone aches elsewhere too.oh, and yes, Some palpitations

Hard to tell with the anxiety, as it’s been such a difficult time lately, so anxiety is high anyway

Too much and not enough do seem similar, don’t they?

Yep I feel the same - what did you decide to do - do we up or lower 😩.
x

Jeepers xx

Shannonplussed

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 05:59:55 PM »

I felt fine when my estrogen was 3000+, just no sex drive. Sometimes I feel agitated and irritable (okay often) and I would like a better handle on that, although it seems to be less of an issue currently. I have a Mirena now and it’s nice to have one constant. The progesterone I was taking before, maybe that was variable depending on how much I ate, etc. Now I can just focus on tweaking estrogen. And maybe my SSRI.
Pages: [1] 2