Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: VA - Totally desperate now  (Read 953 times)

TnToast

VA - Totally desperate now
« on: October 29, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »

Hi

I've been trying to use Vagifem for a few nights but am now feeling totally desperate...

I had a v sore vulva with thin super irritated skin which occasionally bleeds when I wipe. After managing with moisturisers and barrier cream for a long time things recently got worse and I was struggling to sit or walk so I decided to try Vagifem. I know it takes a while to work and was prepared for that BUT I have had a constant thin, copious discharge from it which made my vulval area even more sore. When I tried to insert it last night I couldn't - it just wouldn't go in- and then I had some slight bleeding. I had a miserable night as I continued to leak discharge and the normal soothing moisturiser (YES VM) and barrier cream couldn't be used properly due to this.

Where can I go from here? I didn't get on with estriol cream either as it burned and left the area very inflamed....

I'm feeling really at the end of my tether. I need something for the VA but seem to be too sensitive to tolerate anything. I am very reluctant to try systemic HRT because my maternal grandmother had breast cancer at my age and I have had to have some abnormal breast cells removed.

I have a GP appointment tomorrow but not optimistic they will know what to suggest. A couple of years ago I was referred to Gynae but after a biopsy which just showed inflammation they discharged me saying I was using all the moisturisers and there was nothing else they could do for me.

Any advice very gratefully received.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA - Totally desperate now
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 09:00:11 AM »

You can continue on your other thread so that you don't get lost ;)

Query Lichon Sclerosis which is diagnosed by biopsy.

It is known that it can take 3-4 months for VA treatment to ease symptoms but being painful in that area affects everything!  Take a list of queries with you to the GP.

TnToast

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 09:32:00 AM »

Thanks CKLD - after the biopsy a few years ago they said there was no sign of anything other than 'chronic inflammation'...

Do you think a different local oestrogen like a suppository type thing or the estring would have less side effects or are they all the same?

Got so many threads now I don't know where to post for the best! Think I'm already lost.... ::)

TnToast

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:33:34 AM »

WHich thread do you think is best to stick with?

TnToast

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 09:36:02 AM »

Will stick with 'very sore vulval skin' thread.

Thanks for your advice  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 01:29:59 PM »

You won't get lost ;-)

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 03:40:30 PM »

Tntoast....it is hard with Vagifem at first.  The discharge is the residue from fillers in Vagifem.  I still get it when I use Vagifem and it's been over a year.  That is a GOOD sign...means your body is absorbing the estrogen and turfing out the useless stuff.  As for vulva, my GP prescribed amitriptaline (sp.) to quiet the nerve endings until nerves settled.  It was the only way I could get through it and come out the other side.  Some women vagifem works with 3 to 4 weeks and others it can take several months but the good news is that the discomfort will get less and less every day.  You must keep up with vagifem for life.  Sucks but can't imagine how women survived before we had these options.

TnToast

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »

Hi Whatsupwiththis

It's good to know what it is! At least now I won't be worrying that I am just having some kind of reaction to it...Thank-you..

Saw GP today and have been given estriol cream. Hope that calms outside bits and then I will reattempt Vagifem or try Estring as you suggest. Wish Drs would warn of these changes and what to look out for, plus suggest taking things earlier and explain why it is necessary, so we don't get into this state in the first place! Thank goodness for all the advice and moral support on here  :)