Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Osteoarthritis in big toe - help!  (Read 5544 times)

Cat71

Re: Osteoarthritis in big toe - help!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 10:54:09 AM »

Have fun!!! Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 06:11:33 PM »

Boots make my feet cold  :-\

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 08:47:28 PM »

Hi Cat cc, hope you found some comfy shoes.

Are you on HRT? How do you treat your osteopenia?

Catcc

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 08:06:55 AM »

2 and a half hours I spent in that shoe shop!!!  For someone who hates shopping I have to admit it wasn't too bad an experience. Apart from when it came to pay  :)  Spent a fortune on 2 pairs of shoes and some custom made insoles.  I don't get the insoles until,3 weeks from now. But at least I now have some shoes in the correct size.

It was very interesting.  I now wish I'd had my feet measured properly years ago.  I'm half a size bigger than I've always worn.  Wonder if that is due to menopause or if I've been wearing the wrong shoes for 40 years :-).  Really hope it's the former.  I'd hate to think that I've caused this issue by stupidity.

I was pleasantly surprised by some of the really lovely shoes and boots.  Expensive mind you.

CLKD I'm like that with gloves.  My hands always feel cold in gloves :-)

Noheroics,  I started HRT 3 months ago (prior to osteopenia diagnosis), for other reasons.  I'm 3 years post-meno - everything seems to be hitting me now rather than in peri. Hoping the HRT will help my bones as well as the other things.  Dr prescribed calcium and vitamin d, and I'm trying to maintain exercise ... hence this issue with my feet. All the walking has aggravated the arthritis in my toes.  Seems that I can't win.  I try to lead a healthy lifestyle but am thwarted at every turn.  :)

Cat71 which A Vogel cream is it that you use?

X

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 08:31:23 AM by Catcc »

C.C.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »

I have OA in the base of my big toe on my left foot. Sometimes it radiates to the toe next door. I'm a former runner (bad knees stopped that) and I think that's where it may have developed. I have a muscle imbalance on my right side so I was overcompensating on my left so that put extra strain on my left foot as I ran.  I am always wearing well-cushioned running shoes so that really helps.  I am no longer running but I do quite a bit of walking and it will flair up during a walk but thankfully it settles down on its own.  I am not currently treating it but when it flairs up I usually apply an analgesic cream or take an Aleve if it's bad. I find damp and cold weather really makes it worse.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 09:13:09 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax which includes the feet - dropped arches!

I hate spending time buying shoes ............

Cat71

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 09:53:45 PM »

Hi Catcc ... it’s Atrogel Arnica Gel. Sorry I didn’t give the full name before.

Glad you got some good shoes and a good experience!

I’ve been taking vit D in spray form. That and giving up dark chocolate seems to have put an end to my headaches and migraines which I had constantly for 2 weeks! My doc got me and my daughter to have a Covid test because she was concerned about my head. Thankfully our tests were negative!

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 08:29:38 AM »

Good job that you got your footwear sorted!

Catcc

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 09:15:19 AM »

Hi

Thanks CC.  Glad you're managing to lead an active life with it..  My big fear is not being able to walk.  I'm not particularly happy about the idea of having to give up skiing, dancing etc ... but, if it comes to that, I'll cope.  The idea of not being mobile or able to do long walks terrifies me though. 

Over the last 3 years I feel like my body's falling apart.  I'm absolutely hating post-menopausal life!  Every month a new ailment.  Hate it!  I'm off to physio today re knee and hip pain too (may well be associated with feet issues).  2 year ago I would ski, dance, swim, gym without a second thought. 

Cat71 glad the covid tests were negative.
Migraines are no fun!  I love dark chocolate too, but can't eat a lot of it. 

Wore my new boots yesterday.  I love them  :)
X

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 10:29:15 AM »

'Photos of the boots ?  :D

Catcc

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »

They look like Doc Martens (but they have special rocker soles - but you wouldn't notice just by looking at them).  They are called Stretchwalkers.  I love them!   Comfy too  :)  Not cheap though

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 12:46:59 PM »

R U able to get them re-soled/heel free some Companies do a scheme for expensive footwear - it's in the original price.  Apparently.

Cat71

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2020, 07:51:43 PM »

So glad you are loving your new boots CatCC. I bought a stylish pair of wedge boots from Hotter last year and they are still going strong! They have Velcro strap fasteners with buckle detail. The wedges are like a plastic so do not wear very quickly. They look nice with jeans or above the knee skirts with tights.

I hope the pain is easing off now??? Xx

Catcc

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »

Hi Cat71
Hope you're still headache-free.

Haven't been far in boots.  I've got all sorts of joint pain going on at same time just now.  Physio said to try a 15 minute walk each day.  Only been out a couple of times.  Just back from one just now.  Managed to stand in some dog s**t! Yay!
 :)  So have spent last half hour trying to scrape it out of the tread. Someone let their dog poop on our drive and didn't pick it up.

Big toe joint does still hurt a bit. I am really hoping it will get back to how it was before.  I'm hating living like a frail old lady.  Prior to this, apart from the odd twinge in the toe I've never had joint problems or injuries before. 

Next time I'm shoe shopping I'll have a look at Hotter.

Can I ask you, do you have some movement in your big toe joints or are they completely stiff?  And do your insoles have an extension underneath the big toe to stop it bending?  Thanks

CLKd. It hadn't even crossed my mind re soles/heels.

Xx

« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:32:50 PM by Catcc »

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »

Will the shoe go into the washing machine on a cool rinse cycle?  I've done that with hotters and they come out OK.  There is no need for owners to leave  :scottie:  poop behind  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Aches and pains may be compensatory due to the new footwear?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4