Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan doses - by mouth / vaginally  (Read 853 times)

Blue Kingfisher

Utrogestan doses - by mouth / vaginally
« on: October 25, 2020, 07:59:19 AM »

Hello everyone,

I’m currently using 200mg Utrogestan vaginally which makes me feel much better until the 5th application & then it feels overwhelming. I tried 100mg Utrogestan vaginally and that made me feel much worse for some reason.

Someone I know said that their understanding was, if took Utrogestan by mouth the dose wasn’t as intense (i.e.) when inserted into the vagina the uptake of the hormone is greater. Does this. Resonate with anyone else as I’m wondering if taking 200mg by mouth might suit me better. I’m presuming the 200mg packs I get complete with vaginal applicators CAN be taking by mouth though??

I wonder whether I would fair better taking the 100mg by mouth also......no idea why using them vaginally for me makes me feel totally shocking (when 200mg doesn’t)....I’ve tried on 3 separate occasions now.

Do women generally on this forum take Utrogestan vaginally because it lessens the side effects?

Has anyone experimented with 100mg/200mg by mouth Vs vaginally? I know we all respond differently to the doses and methods but just interested to know how others have got on. I’m on 4 pumps oestrogel and want to be on a Conti regime now so another option is to take 200mg vaginally every other day (there’s still plenty in my system) or take it for 3-4 days, skip a day & then resume. Presumably taking 200mg vaginally every other day would be the same as taking 100mg vaginally every day (which doesn’t seem to be an option for me).

Thanks in advance for any replies xx

Perinowpost

Re: Utrogestan doses - by mouth / vaginally
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 09:15:37 AM »

Hi Blue Kingfisher

I cannot tolerate taking it orally at all,  side effects are much worse for me that way.  The short answer though is to try it and see how you feel x

violetbat

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 09:22:08 AM »

I have fewer side effects taking them vaginally. Also better absorption seems to lessen the chance of bleeding before I finish the course.
I hate them though. I am in constant pain whenever I take any form of progesterone. It stops as soon as I stop taking it.
When my own progesterone starts to rise I know it immediately as I get a low lying constant ache in my womb.

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »

Thanks Perinowpost, I think I will stick to taking it vaginally to be honest as the last thing I need right now is to upset things further. I know where I am with 200mg vaginally. Might try 100mg orally at some point in the future since that makes me feel awful vaginally any way. I’m really sympathetic to you Violetbat since they cause you pain! The general side effects can be bad enough. I will see how I go with 200mg vaginally taking breaks when the progesterone builds up too much.

Thank you both for your responses, it’s really really helpful! xx

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 09:47:14 AM »

Just remember that if you do decide to trial it orally you could just take 1 and if you have any adverse side effects immediately switch back to vaginally x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 10:27:44 AM »

Yes, good plan Perinowpost.......would try it on a weekend day too! Thanks, good thinking xx